Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommended Firewall?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dbunder

dbunder

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 23 July 2006 - 02:09 AM

I used Sygate til it turned to a Norton product, now I'm using Outpost. It works well, but pops up way too many messages. It also interferes with lots of my programs (most notably my minidisc extraction software, which i use a LOT). What do you guys use? I'd like to avoid McAfee, Norton stuff, and ZoneAlarm. Free or pay is okay with me. Lightweight would also be nice.

I know it's a question that's asked time and time again, I just want more opinions. ;)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 23 July 2006 - 05:57 AM

There is a new piece of hardware being released soon called Xgate.I don't have much information at the moment except that it is a firewall,anti virus and modem all rolled into one.It sounds very interesting especially the firewall part.
My information is that it will be available at about the end of the Month.
Regards.

#3 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:02 AM

try this link

http://www.consumableitems.co.uk/xgate.asp?A=P

#4 dbunder

dbunder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 07:21 AM

Looks quite nice! But until then, what's good? I'm happy with Outpost, but like I said, too many damn popups. :thumbsup:

The Xgate looks great, seriously. But a bit spendy, from projected prices. And only four ethernet ports? Wonder if it'll be a euro product only, not available in the states and whatnot. Something like this should have come out long, long ago.

Edited by dbunder, 23 July 2006 - 07:25 AM.

#5 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 07:39 AM

Just about everybody you talk to has a problem with firewalls.
In the last 12 versions of Zone Alarm Pro i have only been able to use 2 .At the moment i am using v.61.744.000 it is as good as gold.There will be a new version released next week.I am not hopeful.
Back to your question.If you are happy with what you have stay with it.The popups may just be a feature of it's learning curve and may disappear within a couple of weeks

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:35 PM

The lastest "old" version of Sygate is still available, and I have used it for several years, considering it one of the easiest and most effecient software firewalls around. Since all the functionality needed is there, and it was thoroughly tested before release, you can still use it with confidence.
There is a link to it in the free software pinned post.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 dbunder

dbunder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:54 PM

Hm, can't seem to find a link to the latest Sygate firewall before it was purchased by Symantec. Anyone have a link to a trial of the latest non-Symantec Sygate? I DO think I like it better than Outpost. Outpost is too bleepy. :thumbsup:

#8 Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:12 PM

If you've got an older system laying around (Pentium or better), then you might want to consider making yourself a dedicated firewall appliance using Smoothwall or Dan's Guardian.
Posted Image

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:24 AM

The pre-Norton version of Sygate is available at the Major Geeks site:

Sygate V5.6.2808

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#10 Neonknight77

Neonknight77

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 11:00 AM

I like Kaspersky's Antihacker.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,609 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 12:08 PM

Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5 [last freeware version that was strictly a firewall and not bundled with extra features that hog resources and slow down your system performance]. Alternate download site
Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1. Users Guide
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users