Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Win 10 Problems. Start button

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Juliasdream

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 01:20 AM

Even with the latest update my start button doesn't work as it should

There is no response to left clicking the start button, the search box or new notifications(bottom right icon)

Only when I right click do I get any options

Please advise

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,545 posts
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:22 AM

Check your device drivers, particularly your mouse/touch pad drivers.   This is precisely the issue I had (and continue to have) on an old Dell Inspiron 1720.

The general pattern is that the icons in the quick launch bar and system tray will respond to a single left click for a period of time, and the start menu always does, but in short order the quick launch icons stop responding and the start menu appears, but nothing on it can be activated.

In my case I have given up on finding a driver that will work as I've exhausted virtually every option.  The best place to start is at the website of the manufacturer of your hardware.  Even if there's not a driver specifically noted for Windows 10 the ones for Win8 often work as well.

If this is not a desktop machine I'd also suggest trying an external mouse just to see what similarities and differences you might get in behavior, and do so over a period of hours.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:58 PM

Something here might help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users