Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with monitor randomly going black and coming back on.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Divided_Bryan

Divided_Bryan

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 08:27 PM

So as the title says, I have an issue where my monitor will randomly go black for a second or two and come back on. It'll do this numerous times back to back and sometimes will not do it for about 20 minutes and then repeats the loop all over again. This mainly occurs while connecting my monitor to my gpu with my hdmi cable or hdmi to dvi-i cable. I recorded a video with shadowplay while the monitor would go black to see if it recorded the screen go black. Lone behold it did not record it. Right now I am using vga to dvi-i and the monitor does not go black at all. I can't seem to figure out the problem. I'd rather not use vga because for some reason while using vga to dvi-i my monitor will sometimes get fuzzy horizontal lines while mostly gaming. 

My pc specs are: 

cpu: Intel® Core™ i7-4770S @ 3.10GHz

memory: 8gb ram

gpu: gtx 750 ti 2gb-P4-3751-KR

psu: HBA008-ZA1GT 350w

monitor: Asus VX228H

Please help! I read somewhere that it could maybe be voltage fluctuations? Since hdmi is sensitive to those stuff? I'm not too sure though. My pc is connected to a power string that is plugged into the wall socket. I do not think my power strip has a surge protector. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 08:46 PM

You need to be able to be sure whether the problem is in the monitor, or the computer. Probably the simplest way to check is to hook the monitor up to another computer and see if it still does it.

Another approach is to see whether the monitor's backlight is going off. If you darken the room, some monitors have a spot inside on the back of the LCD panel where you can see the backlight glow if you look inside the back of the monitor through ventilation grilles. If it has this, and when the screen goes black the illumination of the little port inside also goes out, the backlight is failing.

If no backlight indicator is visible inside the monitor when it's working normally, another approach is to keep the room darkened and when the monitor goes black, hold a torch gently against the front of the screen. If you can still see the desktop image faintly in the reflected glow around the torch head, then the rest of the system and monitor is still OK, and again that shows it's the backlight that is at fault.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Divided_Bryan

Divided_Bryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 08:59 PM

I'll try those out and see if that is the case

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users