Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Seven-year-old blind girl banned from using cane at school

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,002 posts
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 07:48 PM

A blind seven-year-old girl who once used cardboard tubes to guide herself home has been banned from using her walking cane at school, in case she 'trips up teachers and pupils'.

Lily-Grace Hooper suffered a stroke when she was just four days old, leaving her virtually blind and only able to see light in one eye.

However, she received an essential lifeline earlier this year when a charity donated her a fibre-glass walking cane after she started using cardboard tubes to guide herself.

Lily-Grace was banned from using the device at her primary school after a risk assessment said it posed a high risk to others around her.

Instead, the seven-year-old has been told she should instead have full adult support at all times, and has to ‘walk carefully’.

My Rant.

Have people become so clumsy lazy and stupid that they need to takeaway a blind little girls cane because somebody might trip on it? This is just idiotic morons trying to get their 15 minutes of fame.

Hey heartless school officials, You are teachers teach students to walk around with their eyes open.

Things like this make me want to punch those people hard.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kitsune

• Members
  • 391 posts
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 06:33 AM

Wow. Wow. That is just monumentally stupid.

#3 Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,356 posts
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 03:10 PM

I got your 'risk assessment' right here!.... Just sayin...

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 03:38 PM

Ohhh hell maybe they are thinking this little girl is a NINJA in disguise and the cane can be a lethal weapon.

Makes as much sense as the school boards decision

Edited by dannyboy950, 20 November 2015 - 03:42 PM.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#5 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 304 posts
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:35 AM

. . . Have people become so clumsy lazy and stupid . . . to takeaway a blind little girls cane . . .

Yes, they have.

Don't pity this young girl.  Praise her for her bravery!

Try walking around with just an ordinary cane.  You would be surprised at the number of people who ignore you, jump in front of you when you use the electric door opener, and generally get pushy when you are too slow in front of them.

And yet, it still amazes me that people can be so stupid as the person who did the assessment.

And another thing.  What the @#$% is "the school’s mobility officer," anyway?  Is that just a fancy politically correct name for hall monitor?  Some one should stuff him upside down and backwards in his locker.

#6 NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 12,002 posts
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:47 AM

Don't pity this young girl.  Praise her for her bravery!

Oh I do not pity her, I pity the fools making these decisions I am also outraged that adults think like that.

And another thing.  What the @#$% is "the school’s mobility officer," anyway?

Mobility Support Officer

The Mobility Support Officer’s role is to assist student and families make the transition into a new school.

• Mobility officer’s duties include:
  • organising new enrolments,
  • contacting parents to discuss how their child has settled into his/ her new school,
  • gathering information on new students for teaching staff,
  • linking parents and students with community organisations for additional support,
  • working with new students in the classroom to support their transition and learning.
  • Take away a blind girls cane.
  • Make other stupid decisions as needed.

The last 2 are mine.

Edited by NickAu, 21 November 2015 - 12:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users