Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving a Homegroup to a new computer.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:32 PM

I'm in the process of replacing my older computer with a new one. I created a home network and a Homegroup using my User Account on the older computer several years ago. I want to keep the network and Homegroup intact when I make the switch to the new computer. What is the best way to do this? I was thinking of connecting the new computer to the network, deleting the Homegroup from the older computer, and creating a new Homegroup with the new computer using the same name, password, etc. Does this seem like a good plan, or is there a better way?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:49 PM

You just join the new computer to the existing homegroup under a different computer name.  You can create/use the same user account name though. 

#3 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 07:04 PM

When I added the new computer to the Homegroup, I had to go to the older computer and find the Homegroup password. Windows 7 told me that "Bob" on the older computer had created the Homegroup and I had to go into that user ID to retrieve the password. So if I permanently remove the older computer from the Homegroup, who will be the keeper of the password and the owner of the Homegroup?

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 11:37 AM

any computer in the homegroup has the password

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/where-can-i-find-my-homegroup-password

sounds like you only have one computer in your homegroup?

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,138 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 11:50 AM

Just as a side note, Homegroup is sensitive to your network in the form of your router or modem-router, too.

If you get a replacement router/modem-router, even if you configure it with the same SSID (network name) and password your existing homegroup disappears and has to be recreated.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 05:18 PM

Amazing how much misinformation there is on the web and no one is watching.

#7 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 06:11 PM

Thanks for the info, guys. I have/will have two computers in my Homegroup - the desktop computer that I'm replacing with the new one, and an Acer laptop.

I checked this morning and found that the new computer (which I added to the Homegroup this weekend) has the password. I was just wondering if the older computer was considered the "owner" of the Homegroup and problems would be endcountered when it was removed permanently. However, it occurred to me that the Homegroup continues to function when the desktop is turned off, so removing it should not be a problem.

I will keep in mind the information about changing to a new router.

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:27 PM

Homegroup is on what ever computer fires up first.

I usually set up a homegroup that has a name like Home.  This way I can differentiate between default and my own creation.

I have to wonder if you joined a homegroup with the Acer or if you created a new one.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/join-a-homegroup

You would have used the original homegroup password to join the original homegroup

#9 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 06:33 PM

I created the Homegroup with the desktop computer. I did that when I bought the Acer laptop and want to put it in the basement where there is no Ethernet connection available, so I set up the laptop for a wireless connection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users