Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 fails to boot, no safe mode available. Really confused.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Namrad

Namrad

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:57 PM

Hi,

As of recently my PC (I don't know where to find my specs if I can't access the Control Panel), fails to boot Windows 8, but it does this in a rather odd fashion.
What happens is simple: To start it up I press the power button, after which a screen with a Medion logo appears (This is normal with every startup). Shortly afterwards a circle of rotating balls should appear that indicates that Windows is being loaded/booted, only lately it hasn't been, it stays stuck on that Medion logo screen and nothing happens.

Attached File  IMG-20151118-WA0004.jpg   64.62KB   0 downloads

The only F-key that seems to do anything is the F8 key, which directs me to a blue menu in which I can choose three boot devices (Windows Boot Manager and two UEFI's) or where I can Enter Setup. If I select any of these, it goes to a black screen and remains to do nothing. I've already made a recovery USB drive, which shows up as another UEFI option, but this also does nothing when selected.

Attached File  IMG-20151118-WA0006.jpg   77.62KB   0 downloads
Attached File  IMG-20151119-WA0011.jpg   83.85KB   0 downloads

It doesn't do anything if I press the F5 key, as with all the others, so I'm unable to reach Safe Mode.
The oddest thing though, is that this has happened two times in one week, but after a certain amount of shutting the PC down with the power button (it won't respond to anything else) and fiddling with options, both times it suddenly showed the loading circle of rotating balls, and Windows is loaded nearly instantly.

Now I'm really confused as to what might cause this. I wonder wether my harddrive is fried or if it's some other issue that stops the PC from reaching the drives.
I'm really curious what advice you could give me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 05:50 PM

This could be a lot of things.

Try forcing a shutdown when the rotating ball appears (or when it should appear)

After forcing this 2 or 3 times you should be able to access the Startup Repair window

If that doesn't work, use the Settings menu to access the advanced options and see if Startup/Automatic Repair works there.

Also, as you're able, run these free diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users