Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Portege R100 O.S. installment/upgrade

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 69Rixter

69Rixter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:08 PM

Hi:

This is my first post here and it's gonna be a doosey! I'm "trying" to help a friend install a Linux distro to his Toshiba Portege R100. Running into a few frustrating issues. #1. I know from experience Toshiba puts a password on their HDD's and it's a bleep to get around or remove! Don't suggest contacting Toshiba for they won't help!!! #2. This particular model will NOT boot from the USB (there isn't an option to do so) and there is not a CD player in the machine. So....

First, let's deal with "wiping" the HDD and removing the Hdd password. I'd like it so that the HDD never has, or asks for, the password again!!!(if possible). As far as the O.S,, once I remove the HDD password forever(?), I'll put the HDD in another machine and install the O.S that way,,,, unless there is a better suggestion/way? Yes, this machine is old, but still operable, so that's why he's trying to hang onto it and make it usable once again.#3. Is there a method to force the USB drive to "boot" in this particular machine?

Any help with this/these issues would be greatly appreciated. I know why Toshiba installs HDD passwords, but since they won't help you with it, it renders the HDD useless and that is a very poor idea. OH...also, I know where this laptop came from and it's NOT stolen. I take offence to those who suggest every "used/resold/ or otherwise "given" or "passed onto" PC or laptop is stolen. 

Stay Sharp:

Rick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:32 PM

The HDD password is located in firmware on the HDD and I believe you will not be able to format or wipe the drive to remove it. The only solution is to purchase a new drive. Toshiba's Satellite series HDD password can be removed but I don't believe there is a solution for the R100.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 November 2015 - 02:32 PM.

#3 69Rixter

69Rixter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:46 PM

Hey JohnC_21

Thanx for replying. You are correct when stating the passcode is in a part of the HDD that wiping will not eliminate. I was, however, informed DBAN will wipe the HDD part that asks for the passcode (?). So, not the same, but just as effective!. Anyways, the friend solved the problem for me....he pawned the laptop  :clapping: I will avoid this problem in the future by just not dealing with and recommending to everyone else not to indulge in Toshiba products!!! As I understand what they tell you the reason for the passcode is,  but really, it's just a ploy to render their HDD's useless in hopes that you'll buy more of their products.  FAT CHANCE....for me, anyways!

Stay Sharp:

:devil: Rick

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:27 PM

Thanks for taking the time to post an update and how your friend delt with the problem. :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users