Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frequency of using CCleaner and Disk Cleanup?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 12:11 PM

I was curios to know how often do people use "disk cleanup" and CCleaner , TFC   to remove temp files ?   I use all of these multiple times a day and i thought to myself it's probably not a smart thing to do and unnecessary   .

I typically check and remove any temp files i find immediately , what is your take on this .

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 12:21 PM

I suspect that there is no pattern for users.  I just do it anytime that I think it needs to be done...typically when there are signs of possible browser problems.  I certainly would not/do not do it daily or even weekly.  My Event Viewer errors may assist me in determining when.

Of course...with any hint of adware or something worse...I flush the browser cache.

Louis

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 12:22 PM

Cleaning temporary files on a perpetual instant loop is a waste of time unless you're really pressed for disc space and if you are that pressed you had ought to consider offloading infrequently used items to external drives and/or installing a larger capacity drive.

It's not that it isn't a good idea to clean them up on regular intervals, and my recommendation is quarterly to semi-annually for most users.

I use CCleaner more often than that, but not because I'm trying to clean up temporary files, per se, but because over time browser cache tends to become corrupt if you are browsing for days and days on end and the 'Cleaner' option is where cache cleaning takes place.  Any time I start getting "odd" behaviors in a web browser the first thing I do is purge browser cache.   I allow the temporary file cleaning to take place simply because I'm running CCleaner and it doesn't add so much more time to the process that it annoys me.

I prefer CCleaner for browser cache cleaning because it is so much faster than using the equivalent "clear history" function in either Firefox or Chrome.

Edited by hamluis, 19 November 2015 - 07:54 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 01:32 PM

OK thanks gentlemen , appreciate the feedback.

#5 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 03:16 PM

Hey, herbman!

I don't use those specific products, but others like them.  I run them MANUALLY about once a week, sometimes less often.  Or, when the system slows down.  There is an appreciable improvement in operation afterwards.  The importance of doing it manually cannot be stressed enough.  So many of these programs can cause harm if you don't monitor them every step of the way.  Example:  I run a good many programs off external drives.  So the registry cleaner brings up false positives for entries it thinks should be removed, simply because I don't have that drive plugged in at the moment.

You don't run a Ferrari through a $5.00 car wash, and you don't run your computer on automatic cleaners, either.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 03:32 PM

FWIW, I never use a 'temp' or file cleaner of any sort, never have in all my years of computer use. My machine with comparable specs runs as fast across the board as my co-workers does, who is fanatical about any sort of 'leftovers'. I fail to see the point of one since Microsoft didn't include such a feature as standard equipment with the OS. Seems akin to putting 'racing' stickers on your personal car to gain a few more 'horsepower'....

But everyone is entitled to their own way of doing things. If you feel better after 'cleaning' and no loss of operablity, then by all means indulge yourself.

The only 'clean up' I do is empty the recycle bin on occasion.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:17 PM

FWIW, I never use a 'temp' or file cleaner of any sort, never have in all my years of computer use. My machine with comparable specs runs as fast across the board as my co-workers does, who is fanatical about any sort of 'leftovers'. I fail to see the point of one since Microsoft didn't include such a feature as standard equipment with the OS. Seems akin to putting 'racing' stickers on your personal car to gain a few more 'horsepower'....

But everyone is entitled to their own way of doing things. If you feel better after 'cleaning' and no loss of operablity, then by all means indulge yourself.

The only 'clean up' I do is empty the recycle bin on occasion.

No disk cleanup once in awhile  , that does surprise me but i don't know much so who cares what i think lol.

Hey, herbman!

I don't use those specific products, but others like them.  I run them MANUALLY about once a week, sometimes less often.  Or, when the system slows down.  There is an appreciable improvement in operation afterwards.  The importance of doing it manually cannot be stressed enough.  So many of these programs can cause harm if you don't monitor them every step of the way.  Example:  I run a good many programs off external drives.  So the registry cleaner brings up false positives for entries it thinks should be removed, simply because I don't have that drive plugged in at the moment.

You don't run a Ferrari through a $5.00 car wash, and you don't run your computer on automatic cleaners, either.

I should of mentioned that i do run them manually and always use CC portable .    Now i know why my Ferrari has swirl marks in the paint , no more $5.00 car washes for me .

Thanks everyone

Edited by herbman, 19 November 2015 - 04:18 PM.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,677 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 05:39 PM

I only use them at work when I troubleshoot issues where temp files and caching could be causing an issue. Otherwise, at home I use it only from time to time, when I see that my SSD is having less free space than it should have. Otherwise, I delete all of the temp folders manually (I know their locations).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 05:41 PM

CCleaner was originally known as Crap Cleaner and cleaned up its name when it went commercial.

As far as I've ever known, file cleaning is not done to improve "speed" of the computer but to reclaim what would otherwise be dead disk space.  I've always found it pretty appalling how many programs leave all kinds of garbage lying around from installation, uninstallation, and otherwise.

Registry cleaning is what I've always heard claims made regarding improving overall speed, and whether it does or not at least the theoretical basis for that claim has surface validity.  I don't do it anymore, though, as it doesn't seem to have any effect that I've ever been able to detect.

Cleaning browser cache and optimizing the databases they use definitely has a positive impact on performance and often solves actual problems with their behaviors.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#10 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 10:14 PM

I only use them at work when I troubleshoot issues where temp files and caching could be causing an issue. Otherwise, at home I use it only from time to time, when I see that my SSD is having less free space than it should have. Otherwise, I delete all of the temp folders manually (I know their locations).

Can you share , this would be very helpful , if you don't want to share just tell me to go piss off and i will be happy to do so .

Thanks 

Edited by herbman, 19 November 2015 - 10:14 PM.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,677 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 10:21 PM

C:\Users\$USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp
C:\Users\$USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache
C:\Users\$USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache
C:\Users\$USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.MSO
C:\Users\$USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.Word
C:\Users\$USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE
C:\Users\$USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Low\IE
C:\Users\$USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Low\Flash

Just to list a few.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/temporary-internet-files-folder-location

A lot of temporary folders for Internet Explorer (and other web browsers) can be found under C:\Users\$USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#12 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 02:59 AM

C:\Users\$USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp
C:\Users\$USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache
C:\Users\$USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache
C:\Users\$USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.MSO
C:\Users\$USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.Word
C:\Users\$USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE
C:\Users\$USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Low\IE
C:\Users\$USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Low\Flash

Just to list a few.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/temporary-internet-files-folder-location

A lot of temporary folders for Internet Explorer (and other web browsers) can be found under C:\Users\$USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows.

Thank you very much , appreciate it.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,677 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 08:25 AM

No problem, you're welcome.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users