Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

usb 3 active extension cords for wifi adapter?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jimlau

jimlau

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 09:31 AM

I  have a standard usb 3.0 16ft extension cord. my wifi adapter at the end of it is not fully working. which is better to do?

1) buy a power adapter for the cable, or
2) buy an active/repeater usb 3 cable.

if #2, would I have to buy a power adapter as well?

thanks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:50 PM

Power adapter is for PoE [power over Ethernet]  Is the wifi adapter a PoE adapter?

#3 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 05:04 PM

Power adapter is for PoE [power over Ethernet]  Is the wifi adapter a PoE adapter?

It's all usb, so I was referring to a usb power hub.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 06:56 PM

A hub is a hub.  Where it gets its power from [outlet or computer] doesn't make a difference.

It would appear that you think the issue is power to the wifi device is the reason its not working.

If the device works in the usb port the cable plugs into on the computer then its the cable that is defective.

#5 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 07:12 PM

A hub is a hub.  Where it gets its power from [outlet or computer] doesn't make a difference.

It would appear that you think the issue is power to the wifi device is the reason its not working.

If the device works in the usb port the cable plugs into on the computer then its the cable that is defective.

the computer usb port puts out less than a wall outlet, yes?  the problem is the best wifi spot is not near my computer, but 15 feet away.  how do you determine if it's the wifi adapter, the cable, or the power?

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 11:32 AM

"the computer usb port puts out less than a wall outlet, yes?"

No they should be the same according to the usb standard

Download xirrus wifi inspector.  Plug the wifi adapter into the port on the computer the cable is plugged into.  Post a screen shot of what xirrus sees.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users