Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple instances of Chrome.exe 32* running

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jadengalachiuk

Jadengalachiuk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 08:03 AM

Hello:

My laptop has multiple Chrome.exe 32* processes running in task manager. I have tried ending the process's and they come back after a few seconds. I went into Program Files in My Computer and attempted to delete Chrome, but Windows tells me to close the program first. Chrome isn't slowing my computer; however, I have had multiple new programs automatically downloading to my computer and attempting to run, as well as constant issues while using the Chrome Browser. I am currently using Internet Explorer to post on these forums, and am getting constant page popping up stating I have a virus and to call a number to fix it (which I won't). I would also like to mention that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware can not find anything on it.

Edited by hamluis, 19 November 2015 - 09:14 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 12:39 PM

There is nothing wrong with Chrome, per se.  It's architecture is such that many Chrome processes run any time you use it.  I've got an entire "window's worth" of chrome.exe running any time I use Chrome (like right now).

You definitely have some sort of malware on your computer though.  Before you go over to the "I Think I'm Infected, What Should I Do?" forum you might want to re-run Malwarebytes making sure that you have downloaded the latest definitions file, at a minimum.  This would have to be something very, very new for MBAM to be unaware of it.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 Jadengalachiuk

Jadengalachiuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:54 PM

I have closed chrome completely and unchecked the usage of background apps. I am also running 64bit windows, and this is not the chrome I usually see, especially when chrome is supposed to be closed. (for it is chrome.exe 32*) I did a system restore from safemode (I couldn't use my computer anymore. After posting the thread last night I started having multiple pages opening from my browser that were blue paged stating my chrome was infected and to "call the number on screen"

While in safemode I was able to keep the chrome process closed long enough to delete it. (The file location of the Chrome.exe 32* was not in my Program Files as it should be, but it was in some other folder with a bunch of randomly named folders and files   

ex. Th7dSy5DhbD96dh86dhuiWJ4UI4.exe

Note* this is a made up file name; however, it resembles those that were in the folders.

After booting up in safemode, deleting the Chrome.exe 32* and resetting the computer to a week prior, I seem to have fixed my problem so far. Now however I am not able to open some programs on my computer. I think this may have just been due to the reset, and I will re download them now to see if that will help fix whats going on.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 06:09 PM

Well, you're a living example of how helpful the automatic restore point feature of Windows can be (if/when it works - I've had occasions when it does not).  Doing intentional manual restore points before doing major installations and/or uninstallations is also a really good idea, too.

I'm glad you've been able to get your machine back out of the clutches of a malware infection.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users