Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do They Differ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 unloaded

unloaded

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 22 July 2006 - 11:39 PM

hi, I am currently using adsl and i was wonder how is it different from cable or satellite? and what is Ethernet?
how come with faster speed of cable is cheaper than slower speed of adsl?

what are modems? or routers? are they different?

plz help!!

thanx

(Moderator edit: added clarifying topic description. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 24 July 2006 - 08:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:38 PM

networking 101 ! lol

this could shed some light on some things, and could be a ereference to others.

ethernet>a general term used to describe cables, physical and logical topologies. usually someone will say "ethernet vable", which would describe the type of cable used in a network. (cat 5) check it out here.
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/abo...t-crossover.asp

ISP's (internet servce providers)
satellite>some providers use one way (download), which means you need dial up also to upload. some provide 2 way, up and down load. you can have decent bandwidth (mesurement of speed of information) with this type, but. it has a big drawback, the "ping", or attenuation of the info is slow. meaning, your stream of data is fast, but the time the request for a webpage goes from you to the server and back is much greater than something that dosent have to go to earths orbit and back. usually the last resort.

cable>shared segment>this is decent, personal preferences here, the only drawback in this logical topology, is the more people on line and downloading stuff at a time, the lower bandwidth you will have some areas are better, some worse, ddepending on the technology and the upkeep of the ISP.

DSL>i have it, and it is more of a personal preference. usuing PPPOE (point to point protocol over ethernet) i have 5 meg service, which is decent, (again different in ISP's) this connection type gives me a more dedicated bandwidth, regardless of other dsl clients that may be on the same backbone.

modem>(modulator-demodulator)>this is used in all types of internet connections from cellular satellite cable and dsl. it is used to translate the information (packets) into pulses to transfer over the medium used for connection to the internet.

router>used by all isp's it is used to direct the ingformation to the appropriate place. SOHO (small office home office) routers give people like u and i hardware firewall protection, wireless options, and the ability to have our own lan (local area network) to share resources like files and the internet.

its been a while since my network+ exam, lol, but this should give you an idea or 2, and remember google is a great nand essential tool for everyone!
dave
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:41 AM

thanx thanx alot, now i know which one i should choose

0 user(s) are reading this topic