Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to handle SSD storage upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 thx4helping

thx4helping

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:17 AM

I just made purchased a new computer and would like to replace the HDD with an SSD. I haven't turned on the computer yet. Could I just swap out the drives and use a windows 10 boot disk, or is it better to turn the computer on and setup the windows 10 that it came with and then clone the SDD? (This will be go in the 2.5" bay of this computer - http://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/GL552VW/specifications/).

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 10:59 AM

For myself, I'd fire up then clone.  There can be all kinds of manufacturer specific additions (not including bloatware, which I'd gladly jettison) included in their image of Win10.  I'd want to carry that along, particularly if you need to get their tech support involved in the near term.  I'd also be careful to verify that this will not void your warranty, which you wouldn't want to do in the short term, either.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users