Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"dpc_watchdog_violation" after Windows 10 upgrade, automatically reverts to 8.1

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:33 PM

I spent the entire day downloading the free Windows 10 upgrade, and immediately after the Windows 10 upgrade was fully completed, I immediately get a "dpc_watchdog_violation" and my tablet says it needs to restart and that it will do so automatically. ...except it doesn't. I hold the power button to force shut it down and when I turn the tablet back on, it gives a message "restoring your previous version of Windows" and now Windows 10 is no longer on the tablet but it is back to Windows 8.1.

dpc_watchdog_violation does create a few hits on Google, but none are immediately following the upgrade nor does any one talk about the computer automatically reverting to Windows 8.1. A couple people said that they were not genuine but my 8.1 was genuine. it came with it on the tablet. and I even did the Microsoft activation phone number thing when I factory reset the thing after the previous owner gave it to me.

Has anybody heard of this issue after upgrading? Does anybody know how to fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 05:51 AM

The cautions that we have at work for this upgrade are:
- ensure that you've updated the BIOS/UEFI to the latest available version.

- ensure that the system isn't infected, and/or doesn't have operating system problems/issues

- ensure that you're removed/uninstalled any incompatible devices and programs

- ensure that the system meets the requirements for installing the update.

The fact that the tablet is back to W8.1 after you reboot is evidence that the W10 installation has failed.

There are ways to troubleshoot this, but it's beyond my abilities at this time.

Searching the web for "Windows 10 installation failure" (without the quotes) may help.

The DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (a STOP 0x133 error) is a sign here that there's a hardware/compatibility/low-level driver issue with the system.

As it works well with 8.1, I'd presume that it's either an incompatibility or a low-level driver problem.

We may be able to identify the problem driver if you submit the following reports:

Please provide this information so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

Should you have problems with the perfmon report, please disregard it (I don't use it very much anyway).

Should the app lock up for more than 15 minutes while searching for Network information (it does this in my copy of W10), go ahead and kill the app. 
Then navigate to the Documents folder and zip up the 18 reports in the SysnativeFileCollectionApp folder - then upload that with your next post.

If that doesn't work, then you can try this new app (from a friend of mine):  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
***********************************************************************************************************

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users