Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent dns issues , router problem effects multiple devices

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 IdahoDaddio

IdahoDaddio

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:59 PM

For the last several months we have had intermittent issues with all of our devices dropping Wi-Fi internet actually even are Ethernet devices have not been able to log onto the Internet with many DNS error codes. The curious thing is we returned our router to our service provider and got a new router and we are still having these issues and it's not just one computer it also affects our mobile devices as well.

I need some advice on what to do, this has spanned two different routers and can't be a one device problem.

Edited by hamluis, 19 November 2015 - 05:07 AM.
Moved from Win 10 Support to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:14 PM

This could also be a modem problem too.  I opted to buy my own and stop paying to lease theirs for $15. a month.  Try a reset on the router if you haven't yet, if that doesn't work, do a default reset on the router, usually through a small hole with a switch behind.  Check the router manual.

#3 IdahoDaddio

IdahoDaddio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:14 PM

additional info, I installed avast virus protection to my old computer and then to the new computer im now using, these issues seem to coincide with these events, I dont know if there is a connection.

#4 IdahoDaddio

IdahoDaddio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:15 PM

we have to restart our modem to get the internet back up, but we just got a brand new router from our provider and the issue is continuing , we have to do this once a day it seems and it was happening with our old route as well, 

Edited by IdahoDaddio, 18 November 2015 - 10:16 PM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:37 PM

IdahoDaddio,

I have no idea who your ISP is, but I can tell you I had similar issues to yours with my Verizon service that had, for years, worked flawlessly.

I had two bum modem-routers in a row as well.  I would take this up with your ISP because, as you observe, it's across machines and device types and if all are experiencing the same issue at the same time it's likely the common denominator, your wireless access point, that's at fault.

It would be helpful to know what your access point equipment is, at a minimum.  

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#6 IdahoDaddio

IdahoDaddio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:47 PM

access point being my router?

arris DG1670

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:57 PM

What I was trying to determine was whether we were talking DSL, cable, or true wireless access point or whether you had a separate modem and router or a combination unit.  It appears that the Arris DG1670 is a cable modem-router.

I would still suspect something's wrong with the modem-router, given the symptoms you describe.  I would definitely be pursuing this further with your internet service provider.  It would not shock me if they offer to replace this modem-router with another straight out of the shoot.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#8 IdahoDaddio

IdahoDaddio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:19 PM

I will look into this, I just replaced my old router 2 weeks ago though lol, both routers had the same problem, probably should call tech support

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users