Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggestions for a suitable message board program?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tim_K

Tim_K

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:52 PM

I have a proboards message board on one website, and it has always been reliable, but it gets nearly no traffic.  10 posts in a year would be a huge amount.

I am planning to make another message board for a different purpose.  But this board would have a lot more sections and subsections, even more than this website, and if it catches on, quite a bit of traffic too. 

So I'd like to get some ideas on a message board program that can take the volume and traffic, and what else do I need to consider?  Bandwidth limits?  Getting a hosting account with more storage space on it?

Can I have the message board program on my web hosting account all by itself, or do I need to make a simple one page website with its own index page to base the board off of?

I'm guessing I'd have to make a simple one page site with the FORUMS link at the top.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 12:54 PM

Yeah, I can relate; my college cafe at yuku.com is a ghost town right now.  I created a couple new forums aimed at Education and Computer stuff, and decided to simply park my articles in there, one by one.  If anyone reads 'em, great!  Eventually, a search engine or two will pick up a few topic titles  :)  The only advice I have:  pretend you are posting as a library; it's there for the interested.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 Tim_K

Tim_K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:53 PM

No one has any suggestions?

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:15 PM

"...I'm guessing I'd have to make a simple one page site with the FORUMS link at the top..."

I'm thinking this is one good way to go.  BleepingComputer.com, on its main flagship page, has tabs across the top, with forums being one of the tabs.  You can have two tabs in that mix -- one tab for each of your forums.  And, your front page can a brief description of each of your two forums.

Edited by RolandJS, 26 November 2015 - 09:16 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:20 PM

Find a successful forum already in progress, and ask admins if they are using meta tags, meta description, etc. to greatly enhance their search engines' placements.  If meta tags & descriptions are still very useful, construct a carefully-thought out meta-material header for each of your forum front pages -- enhance your placements in the various search engines.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users