Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which distro is best for an external modem ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TonyToklas

TonyToklas

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 07:57 PM

For a desktop PC with 4 GB RAM that accesses the web thru a slow dial-up connection.   I'm not interested

in gaming,peer-to-peer, music or movies. Just for reading online.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:12 PM

For as long as I have been following Linux. The distro that comes up most often related to dial-up use is Puppy.

Some of our more well versed Linux users can add their thoughts as well. I am not an expert or extremely well versed with Linux. Just my own research and helping others.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:05 PM

Hi Tony :welcome: to BC and the Linux section

With that much ram any distro would run on that PC, with you being on dial up 200 MiB updates would take many hours to download. However I still think this is a viable option, Unlike Windows Linux will tell you there are updates and ask you if you wish to install them, You can always run updates overnight if needed.

For as long as I have been following Linux. The distro that comes up most often related to dial-up use is Puppy.

Some of our more well versed Linux users can add their thoughts as well. I am not an expert or extremely well versed with Linux. Just my own research and helping others.

Puppy Linux would be ideal for this and there are hardly any updates, There are many ways to run Puppy but I wont get into that now if you decide to go with Puppy Al1000 and I will be happy to help you.

Something like BrowserLinux 501 is another option.

There are a few options, How do you want to run this as a Live CD, from USB, or installed to HDD?

Edited by NickAu, 18 November 2015 - 09:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users