Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Warning On Windows 10 Updates (long post)

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 MrClose

MrClose

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 06:13 PM

First: I bought a pc with windows 8.1, had it a week and had all the apps that I always have on previous machines.

A week later when I turned it on, it was automatically updating to windows 10.

Lost some, not all of the apps.

Last week I went to my tools folder to launch my snagit9 app .. gone? (paid for)

I couldn't find it anywhere!

Yesterday I cranked the machine up .. No internet connection!

My realtek adapter wasn't there!

ALL DAY I spent in trying to figure out what was wrong.

Without an internet connection you can't ask anyone!

Finally, I went to device manager, uninstalled whatever wasn't there (realtek adapter) and restarted my pc. Success!

Well .. almost.

My BH plays games.

The games that I had purchased ... had their Legal licenses disappear!

I had not saved the keys to the games which means .. Microsoft .. in an update, erased my game licenses and now I realize .. erased my snagit9 and it's license completely!

I have found NO WAY to stop auto updates of windows 10 and thus .. Microsoft is erasing apps and unless you use them every day, you wont know it until you NEED them!

Yes, I lost a lot of stuff when they automatically upgraded me from 8.1 to 10 but what I am talking about now are the updates they do on windows 10.

I seem to have things go missing whenever there is an update of 10.

Problem is .. you don't know what is missing until you go to use it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 07:14 PM

First: I bought a pc with windows 8.1, had it a week and had all the apps that I always have on previous machines.

A week later when I turned it on, it was automatically updating to windows 10.

Lost some, not all of the apps.

Last week I went to my tools folder to launch my snagit9 app .. gone? (paid for)

I couldn't find it anywhere!

Yesterday I cranked the machine up .. No internet connection!

My realtek adapter wasn't there!

ALL DAY I spent in trying to figure out what was wrong.

Without an internet connection you can't ask anyone!

Finally, I went to device manager, uninstalled whatever wasn't there (realtek adapter) and restarted my pc. Success!

Well .. almost.

My BH plays games.

The games that I had purchased ... had their Legal licenses disappear!

I had not saved the keys to the games which means .. Microsoft .. in an update, erased my game licenses and now I realize .. erased my snagit9 and it's license completely!

I have found NO WAY to stop auto updates of windows 10 and thus .. Microsoft is erasing apps and unless you use them every day, you wont know it until you NEED them!

Yes, I lost a lot of stuff when they automatically upgraded me from 8.1 to 10 but what I am talking about now are the updates they do on windows 10.

I seem to have things go missing whenever there is an update of 10.

Problem is .. you don't know what is missing until you go to use it!

You see, aside from the fact that it is an assylum and a circus, look at the precious, unredeemable time you are forced to expend on it.

And the presumption is, amongst the fans, anyway .. well, that's OK - it's normal, what are you complaining about ?

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,594 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 10:15 AM

A few things.

I'm pretty sure that Windows 10 doesn't reinstall programs that aren't compatible with it during the upgrade. I know that SnagIt is now at least on version 12.4, so I'm sure that version 9 isn't seen as compatible with Windows 10. This will be the same with every programs not judged compatible with Windows 10.

What are these "BH" games you are referring to?

Do you have a folder called windows.old on your C: drive? If you do, your old Program Files, and Program Files (x86) folders should be there with the programs and their licences (if they were in a file form).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,476 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 10:30 AM

From context I believe BH stands for "Better Half" AKA partner AKA spouse.

I won't disagree that there are some definite "burps" in both the earlier Windows to Win10 upgrade process as well as the Fall Update.  I've documented some of them.  That being said, what Aura mentions regarding programs that are "incompatible with Win10" not being carried forward is something you're actually told as a part of the update process.  Some things that are actually compatible do get removed (I should say archived, really) because they have ambiguous characteristics and a choice has to be made.  Some companies did the work necessary to patch their stuff to make sure it would be identified as compatible and some did not, that's just the way it is.  It's not as though the requirements were not out there long, long before Win10 ever got its initial release.  Microsoft can't force third-party vendors to do tweaks, it can only identify what tweaks are required in order for a given piece of software to be identified as "Windows 10 compatible."

Try switching to, say, Linux and look at what happens to everything you've ever known if you've only been a Windows user.   Major OS upgrades or switches will always involve some amount of pain and not all of that pain is the fault of the OS in question.

P.S.:  I have yet to see any app or application program be archived/removed except as a part of the actual upgrade process from Win7/8 to Win10 or the Fall Update (which I honestly wish they'd either call an upgrade or go back to the old "Service Pack" terminology - it's not a "normal" update).  Microsoft is not, according to any source, nuking apps/applications willy-nilly as part of the routine updates process.

Edited by britechguy, 19 November 2015 - 10:48 AM.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,594 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 10:44 AM

Thanks for the explanation regarding BH Brian. This being said, MrClose, could you list the games that were removed?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 01:47 PM

MrClose, do you have any means of retunring from windows 10 to windows 8.1? any manufacturer's recovery media, and system images, what about looking at windows 10's options to return to your previous OS, if those options are still abou this long after upgrading. If you can get back to windows 8.1 then I can help you ensure you never get upgraded again, if you can reset your computer to 8.1 by some means then I know how prevent upgrades. It's a matter of uninstalling certain updates, setting updating so it's under your control not fully automatic, deleting certain files and folders if they are there and potentially disbaling a certain scheduled task. As I said this only helps if you can get back to 8.1 in the first place, but if you can do that then I can help you ensure you'll never end up with 10 again, and you'll be able to make sure any programs you have in future do keep working, although dependning on your method of going back this might not help you regain the licenses you've just lost, it will however stop you ever losing licenses again in future. I suggest your path of action should be to ask around and seek help n firstly downgrading back to windows 8.1, then immediately after downgrading set your updates to "check automatically but ask be whether I want to download"(do this straight after you've downgraded, before you even go online again), then seek more adivce (and I can give this latter advice) for preventing upgrade from 8.1 to 10, this might not fix what has happened now but it wil stop it happening again. I suspect that in future windows 10 will continue to suffer these kinds of problems every time an new update to windows 10 is released, so staying on 8.1 is a far safer bet for ensuring your programs keep working as you like them.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:15 AM

How can a Windows 8.1 machine update to Windows 10 by itself? There are so many questions that it asks during installation, and it sure won't install without the end user agreeing to the license terms. This whole premise seems a little bit off.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,476 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 03:40 PM

How can a Windows 8.1 machine update to Windows 10 by itself? There are so many questions that it asks during installation, and it sure won't install without the end user agreeing to the license terms. This whole premise seems a little bit off.

I, too, agree that the idea of fully automatic, forced upgrading to Windows 10 without any user input "seems a little bit off."

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 04:55 PM

forced upgrading to Windows 10 without any user input "seems a little bit off."

A bit off?

#10 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:05 PM

Quite a bit off.

#11 ChuckPasadena

ChuckPasadena

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 07:24 AM

I, too, agree that the idea of fully automatic, forced upgrading to Windows 10 without any user input "seems a little bit off."

I can think of several ways the Windows 10 upgrade files and the installer could have gotten on the OP's hard drive without him noticing but upgraded??

"A little bit off" is one way to put it....

On a somewhat related note, I'm really a bit taken back by the number of people still complaining about Windows 10. Honestly, am I missing something here? Because since I upgraded to Windows 10 I haven't had so much as a hiccup in using my laptop, and most of the programs I run the most are running somewhat faster on 10 although with some the difference is negligible. With Windows 8.1 clustered, multiple system crashes happened on an almost monthly basis but I honestly can't recall a single incidence of unexpected system failure with Windows 10 since it was released.

Edited by ChuckPasadena, 22 November 2015 - 08:04 AM.

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,596 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 09:55 AM

forced upgrading to Windows 10 without any user input "seems a little bit off."

A bit off?

What I mean is dubious. I think that others here agree.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,596 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 09:58 AM

I can think of several ways the Windows 10 upgrade files and the installer could have gotten on the OP's hard drive without him noticing but upgraded??

"A little bit off" is one way to put it....

On a somewhat related note, I'm really a bit taken back by the number of people still complaining about Windows 10. Honestly, am I missing something here? Because since I upgraded to Windows 10 I haven't had so much as a hiccup in using my laptop, and most of the programs I run the most are running somewhat faster on 10 although with some the difference is negligible. With Windows 8.1 clustered, multiple system crashes happened on an almost monthly basis but I honestly can't recall a single incidence of unexpected system failure with Windows 10 since it was released.

Exactly, it will download but not "install." I also agree with your experience of Windows 10, it is a much lighter and responsive OS than previous versions of Windows.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#14 ChuckPasadena

ChuckPasadena

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 12:16 PM

I knew I couldn't be the only one who's found it to work better for me, personally., I understand some people were put of by what were somewhat valid privacy concerns and I've been upfront about my feeling that as far as the data being collected I am perfectly willing to allow Microsoft to collect and store it as I trust their reasons for doing so are the ones they've stated all along. As far as any government agency, they'll get anything they want to get from me if they wanted to and anything that's indirectly scraped in whatever they're on to now is benign.

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,476 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 12:19 PM

I'm liking Windows 10 vastly more than Windows 8 and somewhat more than Windows 7.  It definitely seems lighter and more responsive overall and I noticed that more on my ancient hardware (though driver incompatibility and unavailability issues are causing me to dump Win10 on that laptop).  It will stay on this laptop, which shipped with Win8.1 when it "was born" in 2014.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users