Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor Upgrade - AMD A6 3420M to A10 4600M

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LIOTB

LIOTB

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 05:40 PM

Hello Everyone!

Thank you a head of time for all of your effort on my behalf!

THE QUESTION:

I want to update my computer from AMD A6 3420M  vs A10 4600M. Will that be possible?

What I have done:

cpuboss.com, cpu-world, etc. I couldn't tell for sure.

The Computer:

In attached document. Toshiba Satellite L775D-S7108

Thank you very much!

Attached Files

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 18 November 2015 - 06:55 PM.
Moved from 'Internal hardware' to 'System building and upgrading'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GrymReaper

GrymReaper

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 09:35 AM

Hi LIOTB,

The 3420m uses the FS1 socket, but so does the 4600m, but with the caveat that 4600m also uses the FS1r2 socket type.  It really depends on the motherboard because even though FS1 and FS1r2 uses the same chip layout, the FS1 socket will not accept newer FS1r2 chips.

You may be in luck because FS1 was not around for very long, and there is even less support out there.  Do you happen to have a CPU compatability list with your machine.  If not, do you know the model of the the motherboard?

#3 LIOTB

LIOTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 11:35 AM

Hi LIOTB,

The 3420m uses the FS1 socket, but so does the 4600m, but with the caveat that 4600m also uses the FS1r2 socket type.  It really depends on the motherboard because even though FS1 and FS1r2 uses the same chip layout, the FS1 socket will not accept newer FS1r2 chips.

You may be in luck because FS1 was not around for very long, and there is even less support out there.  Do you happen to have a CPU compatability list with your machine.  If not, do you know the model of the the motherboard?

Hello GrymReaper,

thank you for the insight, that clarifies one concern I had about the socket. And thank you for the follow-up.

Here are the answers to your questions:

1. The manual only lists one processor.

2. The motherboard: Part #: H000034200
Laptop Motherboard: MOTHERBOARD ASSEMBLY Note: Main Board 0M AS UMA USB 2.0 LAN 20AS PCBA 1 69N0Y3M1UB01P

http://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/Toshiba,Satellite,L775D,PSK40U-07N00R,Laptop,System-Boards.aspx

Excellent day to you,

#4 LIOTB

LIOTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:27 PM

Just checking in to see if anyone has any ideas. Again thank you!

@Chris Cosgrove - Thank you for moving this to the right forum. I didn't see it when I was looking for the right place to post this.

Edited by LIOTB, 20 November 2015 - 12:34 PM.

#5 LIOTB

LIOTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:30 AM

What would be the worst case sinario if I did install this other processor?

#6 LIOTB

LIOTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 06:01 PM

Does anyone have an idea? Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users