Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a new refurished comp

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 TBone34

TBone34

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:47 PM

had the dell inspiron 530 and keeps locking up had it 8 years

think need to get new pc hard drive already have tv as my monitor have seen a site called microdream they sell refurbished. would appreciate if someone could look and recommend a decent one for cheap as poss they start from £69 but can go upto about £120. is that not enough?

do i need a quad core or dual core ok? what ram will i need? will any computer be faster than the one i have seeing as its 8 years old?

they start at 169 I dont play games on it, will they all be able to connect to a tv? will they all have a gaming card in? is windows 7 ok or too old? i use vista at the mo

didnt want to post link to site in case not allowed

thanks

this is £100

Quick Overview
Refurbished Dell OptiPlex 745-755 MT, Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86GHz or faster Processor, 4GB DDR2 Ram, 1000GB Hard Drive, DVD-Rom, Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit preinstalled including COA license + Restore Partition (to reinstall Windows back to factory settings) and Recovery tools (to create a system recovery DVDs or USB Flash Drive)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TBone34

TBone34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:50 PM

this is £120

Quick Overview
Refurbished Dell OptiPlex 780 Small Form Factor Desktop PC Computer, Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 (2.93GHz, 3M Cache, 1066MHz FSB), 4GB Ram, 160GB Hard Drive, DVD-Rom Drive, Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit preinstalled including COA license + Restore Partition (to reinstall Windows back to factory settings) and Recovery tools (to create a system recovery DVDs or USB Flash Drive)

#3 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 05:55 AM

Dual core will be fine for web browsing, word processing & similar non processor intensive tasks. 4GB RAM will be OK for this type of usage also.

Generally Dell Optiplex machines will not have a gaming card installed.

From Optiplex 760 onwards a DisplayPort is fitted (in addition to a VGA port), which can be coupled to a cheap converter (generally under £10 - or about £15 for a Dell Y4D5R on ebay) to give you an HDMI signal to connect to a TV (although sound would need to be connected separately)  Earlier machine such as 745 or 755 have only the 15 pin VGA connector - although installing a cheap low power video card (£20-30) could be used to give you an HDMI output complete with sound. Personally I would go for a 760 or later as these are the earliest with official Dell support for Windows 7.

Windows 7 will be OK, & will for a while at least allow you a free "upgrade" to Windows 10 if you want. I have installed Windows 10 on a few old Optiplex 760 machines & it runs OK - although not supported by Dell. For an Optiplex 760 the Dell Windows 7 sound driver works OK for Windows 10 & gives a little more functionality than the standard Windows offering. If you need display scaling when connecting an Optiplex 760 to a TV there is an Intel display driver that will install on Windows 10(https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18402). I would expect the situation for later machines to be similar or probably better.

Even an Optiplex 760 is now about 7 years old, so whether it is faster than your Inspiron 530 will depend on the processors fitted to both machines.

#4 TBone34

TBone34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:44 PM

Thanks. So basically they're old computers?

#5 TBone34

TBone34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:46 PM

Which of these new ones is best please or neither any better than the ones above?

Lenovo H30 Desktop. Intel Pentium quad-core J2900 processor, 2.41GHz processor speed. 4GB RAM, 500GB hard drive. DVD optical drive. Intel HD graphics. 4 USB 2.0 ports, 2 USB 3.0 ports, Ethernet port. Windows 8.1 operating system. Power-saving facility. Weighs 5.9kg.
Measures (H) 30.8 x (W) 10.5 x (D) 39.9cm

Or
Dell Inspiron Celeron Desktop PC. Intel Celeron dual-core J1800 processor (1M Cache, up to 2.58 GHz). Windows 8.1 operating system with Bing Multi-Language. 4GB RAM, 500GB hard drive. Intel HD graphics. 1 year Collect and Return Hardware Support included. Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD). 2 USB 2.0 ports (front), 1 USB 3.0 ports, 2 USB 2.0 ports (rear), HDMI port, Ethernet port. Built-in mic. Bluetooth 4.0. Integrated 8-in-1 Media Card Reade

#6 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 368 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 04:50 AM

These latest 2 are obviously much newer (possibly even new?) , & have a USB 3 port or 2 to their names, but have slow processors - even the faster Pentium quad core J2900 is probably slower than the dual core E7500 in the Optiplex 780 you were originally looking at.

Parts availability for non-standard / compact machines can be a problem, & I suspect that parts availability (both new & used) will be better for Dell machines than Lenovos - particularly for the OptiPlex series machines as many used ones are dismantled for parts (which are widely available from internet & eBay suppliers).

If I were looking for a cheap / refurbished machine at the moment I would probably look for an OptiPlex 7010 or later, with minimum of an i3 processor. I would consider Mini Tower, Desktop or Small Format Factor cases but would avoid the Ultra Small Format Factor version. The 7010 is now about 3 to 4 years old & is the earliest OptiPlex with both USB 3 & SATA 3 ports (assuming that I could find one with a price I was happy with).

Edited by rqt, 20 November 2015 - 04:50 AM.

#7 TBone34

TBone34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 05:39 AM

Thank you

#8 TBone34

TBone34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 06:12 AM

Something like this?? If I were to get one new that you recommend how much roughly we talking? Are refurbished ones not worth the hassle?

http://www.pureitrefurbished.co.uk/Dell-Optiplex-7010-USFF-Core-i3-Gen-3-3.4GHz-4GB-RAM-320GB-HDD-Win-7-Pro.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiApruyBRCFqoDu1pbk9rkBEiQAF8EFddvWK50b8cRn4NU6dlrX_DftiAxkHBKWaon3UqwjO80aApHy8P8HAQ

#9 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 368 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:28 AM

I have not recommended any new machines - just noted that the Lenovo machine you mentioned in post #5 is available new at £199.

I am quite happy with refurbished or used Dell OptiPlex machines - I have a couple & have supplied several to others.

The machine you have identified in your post #8 has only one problem as far as I personally am concerned - which is that it is the USFF case (Ultra Small Form Factor), whereas I prefer the slightly larger SFF (small format factor) case which has more USB ports (6 USB 2 + 4 USB 3), more SATA connectors (3), more RAM slots (4), has a 3.5" internal drive bay & has a couple of PCIe expansion slots (1 x16 + 1x4) whereas USFF has only 2 USB 2 + 4 USB 3, 2 SATA connectors, 2 RAM slots, a 2.5" internal drive bay & no expansion slots. Desktop or Mini Tower cases are also OK - but larger.

The Dell OptiPlex 7010 Technical Guidebook will show you all the specs & case details:-

http://www.dell.com/learn/ng/en/ngchn1/shared-content~data-sheets~en/documents~optiplex_7010_technical_guidebook.pdf

Edited by rqt, 20 November 2015 - 07:31 AM.

#10 TBone34

TBone34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:12 AM

Thanks
Is it worth paying extra £18 for extra 2mb of ram taking up to 6mb or will 4 be ok
Also is 350gb of hard drive space enough or should I pay extra for more?

#11 TBone34

TBone34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:14 AM

Will these be used computers that other people have had and sent back

If you get time could you look at this and recommend one please?

http://www.pureitrefurbished.co.uk/Refurbished-Desktops/?objects_per_page=50

#12 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 368 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:16 AM

Dell OptiPlex machines & many of the small format HP machines are aimed at the corporate market, where companies tend to buy a lot of the same spec machines & replace them on typically a 3 to 5 year schedule. This is where most of these refurbished machines originate. 

On the subject of RAM - more is generally better, but if were paying for a RAM upgrade I'd be looking for 8GB rather than 6GB.

Is 350 GB hard drive space enough? - it depends entirely on how much data you want to store on it - how big is your existing hard drive & have you filled it? If you don't have loads of photographs/videos/music to store on it then 250GB or 320GB will probably be plenty.

Edited by rqt, 20 November 2015 - 10:17 AM.

#13 TBone34

TBone34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 06:23 PM

Thanks
This is only 159 any thoughts please? http://itrevive.co.uk/desktop-pc-s/dell-pc-computer-quad-core-wifi-1tb-hdd-windows-7-8g.html

#14 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 368 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:02 PM

My thoughts on that one:-

Plenty of RAM & hard disk space, good length of warranty.

Optical drive is "DVD/CD combo" - so not a DVD writer (if that bothers you).

OptiPlex model not specified so can't tell what video connectors are available - but picture shows OptiPlex 745 so if that is accurate made circa 2007 & would not have a DisplayPort.

Intel "quad core" processor model not specified so can't comment on speed.

Personally I would certainly not consider anything older than an OptiPlex 760.

#15 TBone34

TBone34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 03:33 PM

Thanks. How old would be the computer I've listed above?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users