Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Died.. can I install drive with Win XP Home in different machine?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GMAN100

GMAN100

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:27 PM

Computer Died.. can I install drive with Win XP Home Edition in different machine?

The origional machine is Dell Insperion Win XP Home Edition SP3, with 2 SATA Drives. I have a lot on info on the DESKTOP I don't want to loose.

The machine I want to put them in is a Dell Precision PWS 670, (32 bit) running XP PROFESSIONAL. 

What is the best way of doing this?

If I take out the drive in the Dell 670 and install the Sata Drive with Win XP Home Edition what might happen ( it has a different bios)

Will it boot up?  Will I loose everything on my old desktop?

Help with this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance ..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 04:20 PM

Hello, and Welcome to BC

I doubt the computer would boot if the hardware was different. You can try but the best option would be to use a USB enclosure or adapter like this one. An enclosure would allow you to use it for external storage. 

You could also connect the drive from the Insperion to the Precision internally. Does the Precision allow for the addition of another drive? Do both computers use the same interface? IDE or SATA? You could boot XP pro on the Precision and access your data on the Home drive. 

#3 GMAN100

GMAN100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:59 PM

Both machines have SATA drive interface.  What do I have to do to make the BOOT drive from Insperion 530 a SLAVE DRIVE?  Will I loose my old desktop ?

thanks for your help

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:27 PM

There is no slave settings on SATA. I believe you set the drive in BIOS to boot or some motherboards assume the lowest SATA port is the one that boots. You will not be able to boot to the desktop of the drive but you can still access the files located on the desktop by browsing to Documents and Settings > Your Login Name > Desktop.

Regarding SATA booting

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 November 2015 - 10:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users