Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issue Installing new Internal HDD

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Sherrod

Sherrod

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 02:46 PM

HelIo,

have a computer that boots to  a blinking underscore  or somtimes a black screen...... I had installed a new internal HDD

could you maybe help with this?

Sherrod Fletcher

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:07 PM

We need more information:

> Is this a homebuild or retail unit?

> Did you install an operating system on the new HDD, and if so, which one?

> If you did install an OS, did you partition and format the HDD first?

> Were you having previous trouble with the system and that is why you installed a new HDD? If so, what problems were you having?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Sherrod

Sherrod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 04:50 PM

Hello ranchHand

1. No, its retail but I installed a new Gpu 

2.No

4. Yes, Drive got corrupted

Edited by Sherrod, 18 November 2015 - 04:58 PM.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 07:41 PM

Well, if you have not installed a new operating system and this drive is factory-new, it is unformatted and there is no Windows system to boot in to, so yes, you would get a black screen. I am a bit surprised that it did not message you, "insert system disk" or some such message. So...I suggest that you first set the BIOS back to factory default. Then enter the BIOS settings, and set 1st Boot Device = CD/DVD drive, 2nd Boot Device = Hard Disk Drive. Then insert your Windows OS DVD disk and reboot, saving the BIOS settings (usually press F10 or the Exit and Save header). If you have a UEFI BIOS it may be a bit different, I have not had extensive experience with UEFI yet. But it will be similar. Hopefully the Windows installation will start.

Just FYI....if your old HDD was only corrupted but still functioning mechanically, you can wipe the drive and use it for storage, install another OS on it, whatever you like.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 Sherrod

Sherrod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:27 PM

Ok, when I try to enter bios, doesn't excute any of my commands... it just goes  to boot windows.... ( that beep sounds play over and over) then it tries to boot windows

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 07:33 AM

Ok, let's get this straight because I am confused.

> Do you, or do you not, have Windows installed on your new hard drive?  If yes, how do you know Windows is installed on the drive? Is this a new drive you purchased from a store, or a used drive from somewhere else?

#7 Sherrod

Sherrod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 07:46 AM

No windows is not installed on the drive..

Yes, the drive is purchase from the store .

but ,when I try to enter bios, doesn't excute any of my commands... it just goes  to boot windows.... ( that beep sounds play over and over) then it tries to boot windows

Edited by Sherrod, 19 November 2015 - 08:12 AM.

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 09:26 AM

Thank you. What you are experiencing is a auto-reboot, which can be caused by several things, so let's do one thing at a time.

> First, do you have a Windows installation disk that you are going to use to install Windows? Also, please post the make and model of your computer.

> Did you ever successfully boot your computer into Windows using your new video card?

> Does your computer have video integrated with the motherboard? In other words, will it run video on the monitor without a video card? And...do you still have the old video card and does it work ok?

#9 Sherrod

Sherrod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 09:51 AM

1. yes I have the installation disk:

2.Not sure what you mean make and model ( cyberpower PC)

3.yes it did boot using new card

4.not computer can not run without a video card

5 yes I still have the old card and it works

Edited by Sherrod, 19 November 2015 - 09:56 AM.

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:46 PM

Ok, last question: what happened that your old Windows operating system corrupted?  Did you have a blue screen, did it overheat, did it start doing the same thing that it is doing now?

> Reset the BIOS back to factory default.  In case you are not sure how to do this, power down and unplug the power cable from the wall socket. Open the case and remove the CMOS battery for about 10 minutes. It looks like a small, silver coin about the size of a nickel. Many computers also have a small jumper switch usually located close to the battery. Move the jumper to the side, wait about 10 seconds, then move it back to original position again. You can check your computer manual to find where this jumper is located. Then reinstall the CMOS battery again; make sure you get the polarity correct, if you put it in backwards the computer will do some really strange things, and possibly not boot. Try to boot with the Windows CD in the drive. Let me know what happens.

#11 Sherrod

Sherrod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 03:55 PM

Ok, reinstalled the CMOS battery.. same thing happened nothing changed.

How did windows get corrupted? 

Well the drive was infected...

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:27 PM

Most computers use either DEL key or F2 to get into UEFI or BIOS.  Windows 8 & 10 normally coupled with UEFI -- what was the original Windows?  My Windows 7 was coupled with BIOS.  If a usb boot stick or a dvd boot is later on called for, Ranchhand will need to know the above info.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#13 Sherrod

Sherrod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:43 PM

I can't enter my bios,doesn't excute any of my commands..

#14 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 05:27 PM

What does your manual that came with the computer say about accessing the BIOS?  It can depend on what mainboard manufacturer they are using. It should tell you if you have UEFI or standard BIOS.

Meanwhile, let's test your memory. Bad memory can cause reboot loops.

> Power down; remove all SIMMs (Single Inline Memory Module), gently wipe the copper contacts with a clean paper towel and reinsert them. Now try to boot. Sometimes a dislodged stick or bad connection can cause boot failures, it is very common so let's check that out first. I suggest that you touch a water pipe, faucet, etc. first to avoid any static electricity discharge from your fingers. If you don't know how to remove memory sticks, post back and I will explain.

> Download the (free) zip file (2nd from the top) ISO of Memtest86+ and burn to a CD or DVD. Obviously, you will need a different computer to do this.

> Note that if your BIOS is not set to CD=1st Boot Device, this utility may not run.

> Reboot with the CD in your drive. Allow it to run until you get a message at the bottom of the screen that testing is complete (about 20 minutes). Any red posts at the bottom of the screen means that memory stick is bad.

> Test only one (1) stick at a time. This means that if you have multiple SIMMs, remove all but one at a time. You may get false readings if running Memtest 86+ on multiple SIMMs at the same time.

Post back with results.

#15 Sherrod

Sherrod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 07:20 PM

Ok, 

the computer boots to the BIOS screen , but when I press any of the onscreen buttons nothing happens.

Also the BIOS does not boot from disk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users