Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer notifications not working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cable2001

Cable2001

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 02:43 PM

I've upgraded a couple dozen computers from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and was informed today that on at least three of them the print notification balloons are no longer working. I have verified this is the case, especially since it is happening on my machine and I hadn't noticed. It might not be working on any of them and it definitely was in Windows 7.

I first went into the Print Mangement App and checked on the Print Server Properties Advanced tab. Both "Show informational notifications for network printers" and "Show informational notifications for local printers" are properly checked. I tried unchecking and re-checking with no success.

I then went into the Registry Editor and manually deleted and re-added the keys for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\Settings\EnableBalloonNotificationsLocal and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\Settings\EnableBalloonNotificationsRemote. No success.

I then went into the Group Polilcy Editor and went to the User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Start Menu and Taskbar to ebable the policy for "Disable showing balloon notifications as toasts" since I read that could cause problems. No luck.

I need to get these working because while it doesn't affect most of my users, I do have a few that use that balloon as a check to be sure all expected pages printed from an ERP system and they write that number on a check sheet.

Anyone have any other ideas to try?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 05:57 AM

I'd suggest checking over in the External Hardware forums.

I don't have much experience with printers in W10

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Cable2001

Cable2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 03:00 PM

Ok, posting over there.

#4 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:27 AM

Ok, posting over there.

I wanted to share something about notificationI accidentally found.

There are few registries you can rename and than manually try to turn the notifications on.
Run this in cmd as administrator :

REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer" /V EnableAutoTray /T REG_DWORD /D 0 /F

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe

start explorer.exe 

After this try to turn on all of the notifications manually, be sure the printer notification are on:
20311d1433071025-notification-area-icons

Hopefully this will do the job :)

Cheers,

Andy. 

#5 Cable2001

Cable2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:03 PM