Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD prevents fresh install completion XP

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Robbie7712

Robbie7712

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:36 AM

Hi,

I needed to reinstall XP Home on my Toshiba Satellite A100-225.  It was running slow.  Wiped the HD --put in the XP Home Install CD. followed everything incl. formatting.  Install first phase went smoothly,--the reboot produced a BSOD with following:

STOP: C0000221{Bad Image Checksum}

The Image CRYPTUI.dll is possibly corrupt.

The header Checksum does not match the computed Checksum.

I re-installed again, thinking there was a glitch on the install, but it produced same BSOD/Message.

Thinking maybe the CD was damaged --I tried to install XP Pro --same BSOD:

Then decided to change Harddrive---No difference--both Home and Pro same BSOD.!

Looking on 'net for ideas, I saw an entry that maybe the CMOS was the fault--dead--the Notebook is pretty old and I got it second hand 4 yrs ago--been a good servant.   A local Service shop wouldn't touch it---CMOS is soldered direct onto mainboard.  However, I opened the Notebook following an online video,--desoldered the CMOS no problem, and ordered a replacement.  Checked the old one for voltage---2.9v for a 3v battery isn't bad, and it's a rechargeable battery! Would that cause the BSOD?

The CD/DVD Drive has never given any problems.

If anyone can throw some light on this and where I go from here, I would be very grateful, because I just don't see why this should be happening---I've reinstalled using these 2 CDs a few times and never had anything like this happen before.  many thanks   Robbie

Edited by Robbie7712, 18 November 2015 - 12:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 05:52 AM

I would suggest posting over in the Internal Hardware forums for assistance with this.

This is because of the CMOS error, your statement that the CMOS was dead, and that you've de/resoldered the CMOS chip.

Edited by usasma, 19 November 2015 - 05:53 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users