Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer crashing during video games, maybe Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Andaloral2

Andaloral2

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:55 AM

Hi, I've been having this crashing problem for a while now. I posted this to the Microsoft forums as well, but I only got one response and it seemed like the person didn't read it...

Here's the link for that: Windows 10 and various games = system crashes.

The basic summary is that I have tried everything to get these games to work, but they keep crashing without displaying a blue screen, error message, and no .dmp of any kind.

Since my last forum post on the MS forums, I have installed: Google Chrome, WhoCrashed (the home edition), and I ran the Sysnative program.

I also can't get my system to give me a .dmp of any kind regardless of my settings. I've pictured it on the other forum. I also ran a manual crash from WhoCrashed to show that my system is indeed configured to write .dmp files, as it wrote and reported them when the manual crash was initiated. When I reset my PC, I kept my old dxdiag's and I can give my brother's as well, because he doesn't seem to be experiencing the crash.

Here are my system specs for this forum post, so that whomever helps doesn't have to dig for it:

· OS - Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista ? Windows 10
· x86 (32-bit) or x64 ? x64
· What was original installed OS on system? I believe it was windows 7, but I can't remember because we replaced the original hard drive a long time ago, and recently installed the SSD
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? With Windows 10, I'm guessing the answer is full retail version even though it's free right now.
· Age of system (hardware) Dell XPS 8300 is the case and base rig, so motherboard and other components like that are from 2010. GTX 970 is only a few months old (at least in my case), PSU was installed at the same time as the video card, RAM was upgraded after 2010. I think that was in 2012.
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? Original Windows 10 install was in late August, and the reset was done a couple of days, so yes I have recently reinstalled the OS.

· CPU: Processor Intel® Core™ i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

· Video Card: GTX 970
· MotherBoard - (if NOT a laptop): Dell 0Y2MRG Motherboard
· Power Supply - brand & wattage (skip if laptop): Metal Blade 550W PSU; model MBP550-HS

· System Manufacturer: Dell
· Exact model number (if laptop, check label on bottom): Dell XPS 8300

· Laptop or Desktop? Desktop

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 05:46 AM

I quickly reviewed your other post.  If I repeat some of the steps that you've already taken - feel free to let me know

Your Broadcom network adapter(s) are disabled.  Did you do this deliberately?  If so, why?

Please:

- download the latest drivers for this device from the manufacturer's website

- enable the device

- install the freshly downloaded drivers

- re-disable the device (if so desired)

Your UEFI/BIOS (version A06x) dates from 2011.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.  Updating the BIOS/UEFI is much more critical in W8/8.1/10 that it was in earlier OS's - as the OS communicates with the BIOS/UEFI much more than it used to.

You only have 7 hotfixes installed, most systems (build 10240) have 12 or more.  Please check Windows Update and install all available updates.

Beyond that there's not much to see.

Could you please upload this report:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Andaloral2

Andaloral2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 08:10 AM

I checked for updates, and because I installed Office 2013 last night, there were some, but none for the system. I just restarted and checked again, and the update manager for Win 10 says I'm up to date.
For the Broadcom drivers, I only disabled my wireless driver at the direction of my mother, who works with networks for our University. I did re-enable it however, and it had up-to-date drivers.
The BIOS is, sadly, up-to-date as well. Dell has chosen to not support my particular machine anymore even though it's only a few years old. I would say it is the BIOS that is causing problems. However, my brother was able to install Windows 10 and play his games, including Fallout 4, without crashing. We have the same system, and as far as I know the same motherboard and BIOS. My father and I both experience crashes with the same system. I did check, by the way, just now, and his BIOS is the same version as mine.
There are event 41's in the logs, and it's detailed in my other post (I've also zipped it up as requested). The frustrating thing is all of the bugcheckcodes are 0x0. In addition to no .dmp files, this problem seems impossible to track down for the layperson.

Another question: is there any way to monitor my temps in-game? Because there's nothing wrong with the computer until I get into a video game, and so if there would be temp spikes, it would be there.

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 06:13 AM

The system is either compatible or it's not.

Incompatibilities don't always show up immediately - it may take many different updates before they are exposed.

As such, working with a system like this is incredibly frustrating.

I had a Lenovo x61t tablet that was incompabile w/W8.  I didn't know this and worked on it for months trying to get it to work properly.  Finally I took it to a conference at Microsoft and had some of the best minds available help me out with it - without any luck.  We did finally come to the conclusion that it probably wasn't W8 compatible - so I reverted to W7 and it's still working great (I gave it to a friend so that their kid would be able to have a computer)

If you have the identical system as your brother, then the system won't be crashing.  As such, there's probably a difference that you're not aware of.

First could be a hardware problem (but unlikely as both you and your father have crashing problems).

Next would be different programs (and different versions of programs)

And finally could be differences in Windows components.

The easiest way to prove/disprove this would be to make disk images of your computer and your brother.

Then apply the image from your brother's computer to your computer.  If it's a software issue, then the crashing problem should go away.

If it's hardware, then the crashes would continue.

This GUID shows up just prior to each Event ID 41 event:  71C1FDF5-883D-5DEB-B0F9-ED6A478ED8D3

Please search your registry for this number and see if you can figure out what it's related to.

To do this, open up regedit.exe and use F3 to search.

DO NOT modify the registry!  And, just to be safe, make a System Restore point before starting regedit

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Andaloral2

Andaloral2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 05:54 PM

The system image will have to wait until break, because I have some papers to write and I'm traveling in a couple of days. However, I did look in the registry, and I don't know what to make of this. I admit, I've very out of my depth here. I've uploaded a picture just in case you can glean anything from it.

Attached File  registry.jpg   54.6KB   0 downloads

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:14 AM

There's nothing visible in that particular key - but what about the keys underneath it?

That GUID doesn't show up in my system.

I wonder if you can afford to experiment with this.

I definitely would wait until break before trying this......

I'd suggest:

- making a system restore point

- testing to make sure that you can use that system restore point

- then export that registry key (to your Desktop)

- then delete that registry key (from the registry).

- then reboot to see what happens

#7 Andaloral2

Andaloral2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:18 AM

Thanks for the advice thus far, I really appreciate the help.

Also, sorry for not getting back to you in so long, I just got so busy I wasn't playing any games, so I didn't have time to test the fix.

Deleting the registry key did nothing, so far as I could tell. The crashing is still present. When I go into the logs, it still references that key, however I couldn't find any mention of it in the registry after I deleted it. 

Since I last replied, I installed Neverwinter Nights 1 and Neverwinter Nights 2. Neverwinter Nights 1 works fine with compatibility mode, although I expected a game so old not to crash for any reason. However, Neverwinter Nights 2 crashes my system, even though I copied my installation folders over from my other hard drive after I installed the games. The settings were exactly the same as on my old hard drive, and it is now presenting the same crashes as my other games, although it worked fine before. I tried running it in compatibility mode, but it hasn't worked thus far.

Edited by Andaloral2, 19 December 2015 - 09:19 AM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:47 PM

This sheds a bit more light on things.

Moving programs isn't advisable - and in most cases a moved program won't work at all.  An installer will add/delete/change registry entries, will add/delete/change files in different places throughout the file system (not just in Program Files), will add/delete/change permissions - both in the file system and in the registry, etc.

A BSOD crash is generally caused by problems with drivers - and these occur in the kernel space.  Most games run in the user space - so they won't directly cause BSOD's (although they may use drivers, and those drivers will be capable of causing BSOD's).

Finally, it could be that the system is looking for that key?  And when it can't find it, it spits an entry into the event log.

I'd suggest trying the system image thing - that'll tell you if it's your system or not (I'm doing it tomorrow AM with 2 computers at work)

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users