Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wish You Were Here - Ups & Downs of Prog Rock

• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#1 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 02:33 AM

Just working on the video, back soon

:wizardball: Wizard

This Topic, I am starting because another (Linux) Topic was going a little off (topic)

I am hoping we can cover groups like, but not limited to, the following:

Pink Floyd, obviously

Emerson, Lake & Palmer (ELP)

Yes

&c

The more videos, the merrier

Wizard

Edited by Animal, 18 November 2015 - 07:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:53 AM

One of the best songs, off of my favorite album, by one of my all-time favorite bands.

#3 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 04:04 AM

I've been re-discovering early Genesis lately, I was too young to appreciate it when it first came out.

#4 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 04:11 AM

I'd like to see what governments were doing regarding Jefferson Airplane, Pink Floyd, et al.

Were they trying to shut them down as advocating drug use?

#5 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 04:20 AM

my recollection is that times were a bit more chaotic back then, with all the anti-government and anti-establishment sentiment stemming from anti-Vietnam War protests. The U.S. Gov't had bigger worries.

one more early Genesis

#6 Terokal

Terokal

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 07:45 PM

Hey Wizard, can see that this one is gonna be cool, don't worry, no time for low points yet ... straight to the years when prog was a dinasour's act but still there where bands trying ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ5RgSPU3B4

this site is good for whatever is related to prog music (there's info like I haven't seen on other sites) : www.progarchives.com ... the reviews can be just that, an opinion and that's all ...

Whatever, dunno how to embed the thing.

Edited : let's see if it's there.

Edited by Terokal, 19 November 2015 - 12:25 PM.

#7 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:04 PM

@Terokal

dunno how to embed the thing.

That's OK, a link is a good start. Although in my case, your first link just brings me back to here in a new Tab.

Note what I said to jargos (JA, John Argos) over at your Topic, to whit:

See here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/14738/inserting-an-image-within-a-post/

& the part I was able to use was sourced from page 4 #47 through #56. In particular I found Animal's input re "the dimmed light" useful.

And you MUST watch the outcome, softeyes' video on Groucho, it had me in stitches!

I am still struggling with it, after two (2) videos successful so far, so we are on the same learning curve. yu gnomi (whom I do know) and others may be able to provide some links to elsewhere on the site, rather than a Tutorial here (& I never have any PMs, all 60 are full, gotta cull - one day :hysterical: :hysterical: )?

For the viewers, this was one of Terokal's contributions over at Linux:

O4SaCnm.jpg

Amazing stuff from Roger Dean, whom also did the art work for some Uriah Heep albums, and Osibisa, as well as for Yes, from whose Tales From Topographic Oceans double LP the above is taken.

It was also suggested there that:

Hi Paul88ks yesterday while watching the football games down here in south america I listened to ELP's (without a doubt) best years (1970-73) ... what a band ... thing is I'm now feeling like talking about Genesis (Gabriel's era) and a couple of Collins' too, or Yes, or King Crimson's 73 tour, Led Zeppelin or Deep Purple, Queen, Supertramp etc etc.

I may have to Google up a Wikipedia definition of Progressive Rock, but I gotta say I love the above-mentioned bands - starting to wonder if I have a twin brother in Peru no-one ever told me about??

:wizardball: Wiz

#8 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:08 PM

@Terokal again:

Mate the link below is to a Topic I wandered into a day or two ago, the link is to the current page.

We may be able to learn something there?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/41446/what-are-you-listening-to/page-143#entry3866908

:wizardball: :guitar: :guitar:

#9 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 03:32 AM

dunno how to embed the thing.

literally just copy the URL and paste it into your post. Don't bother with any of the controls in the menu over the post box, or BB code or anything.

I think website software allows setting default behaviors for weblinks, and Bleeping Computer, at least for this forum, seems to default to embedding any utube vid you enter.

Edited by yu gnomi, 19 November 2015 - 03:39 AM.

#10 Terokal

Terokal

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 12:35 PM

Hello Wiz and Yu Gnomi (thanks for the tip), let's hope the link takes you right to the song and cheesy but remixed clip by a fan. That band blew my mind when I listened to their first album, owned their 2nd and live album but listening to that stuff driving across Roanoke VA lands was a bliss ... for the second LP Bill Bruford and Allan Holdsworth were gone, but still we're talking Eddie Jobson and John Wetton with some help from Terry Bozzio.

No video but the whole suite from the first LP. Who was doing prog in 1978 ?, big names were kinda lost in that year.

Hey Wiz, whoever listens to progressive rock is kinda a brother, if he's not a basket case maniac like my brother LOL.

Edited by Terokal, 19 November 2015 - 12:38 PM.

#11 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:34 PM

Yeah Bro' you've nailed it, works sweet as.

Interesting - even have a bit of a Jon Anderson sound to them? Bill Bruford, for the viewers, was the Yes drummer from 1968 -  1972. Replaced by Alan White, but recorded and toured again with Yes early 90s.

From Yes he drummed for King Crimson. Then in 1976 when Peter Gabriel left Genesis and Phil Collins took over lead vocals, Bill spent 6 months as Genesis drummer before Phil took back the sticks.

Keep it up, Peruvian one, am enjoying the interest expressed, and the input. :thumbup2:

#12 Terokal

Terokal

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:24 PM

Hey Wizard, can see your posting on "what you're listening to?" forum, man, that must be an asylum of different genres LOL.

Here goes a 6 minutes tour-de-force with the gentle ones ... ya gotta love this band, the drummer was having the day of his life.

Edited by Terokal, 20 November 2015 - 07:25 PM.

#13 Terokal

Terokal

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:50 PM

And (as always) I had to grab this CD and play it at max ... was lucky to find a copy while searching for britpop in the black market near downtown Lima, there it was next to F III ... the prog little stores were always only selling official stuff ... except for a guy who for a few bucks made copies and printed the original artwork and all ... geez, the end of the XXth century days ... it's fun to watch this one, this guys were on something, it's 100% more harder than the studio release :

#14 Terokal

Terokal

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:55 PM

@yu gnomi ... rediscovering Genesis, that's great ... I was gonna leave a link but ... nah let's do it, you've probably already listened to one of their opus ...

#15 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 08:38 PM

Got Hocus Pocus .... the list just continues to grow, doesn't it Terokal??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users