Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Toshiba laptop finds no network connection, older laptop connects fine

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 brendotron

brendotron

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 01:02 AM

Hello. I just recently bought a new Toshiba Satellite S55-B5266 which is a much needed upgrade from my basic Dell Inspiron 3521. However, I'm having network connectivity problems right out of the gate with the Toshiba. 

Here is a picture of the issue I'm having...

http://i.imgur.com/jRS6A1k.jpg

If you can see, I put my two laptops side by side with their available network connections. My Dell is on the left, which is connected to my router with no issues and also shows all of the available networks in range. The Toshiba can't estabish any connections even though I have toggled wifi on. 

However, the Toshiba seems to find a small selection of nearby connections at random, and at a very low signal. My router doesn't appear on this list even though it continues to work fine on my Dell right next to it. Here is an image of this instance-

http://i.imgur.com/gHBSTAX.jpg

Obviously, I've gone through the usual protocol with reseting my router and every time my Dell reconnects without a hitch and the Toshiba fails to connect or even recognize. Considering that all of the networks in range consistently show up on my Dell but not the new Toshiba, I figured something must be up with the Toshiba's network adapter settings? I'm not incredibly savvy with troubleshooting this besides the confirmation I got that the driver is up to date and functioning properly. So I'm at a loss. Any help is greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ellittle678

ellittle678

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:34 AM

First off, this is a common issue to have for a new laptop, seems your network adapter needs the latest driver update. So you're trying to connect wireless right? I would first suggest you to right click the wifi connection> Disable> wait a few secs..> right click> Enable

If it's still not showing your wireless connection, updating drivers is most likely the fix.

I don't have windows 10 so I can't direct you to it, but go to "Device Manager" > Network adapters, then use the internets on your other PC with a network connection to find the latest driver for your network adapter. This should help the network adapter to work properly and pick up your network connection, let me know what happens.

#3 brendotron

brendotron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 01:10 AM

Hey ellittle678,

Thanks so much for your help and advice. Unfortunately, I haven't had any luck so far. Just wanted to say real quick that the older Dell with internet connection has been updated to Windows 10 but the problematic new Toshiba has Windows 8.1. I was able to use my Dell to find the latest driver update for my Toshiba through the Intel site, and transferred it via flash drive. The driver updated without an issue and the network adapter responded to the update. However, there was no change to the connection status and I'm still getting no networks found. 

I know that it's possible the physical adapter card could be defective and may need to be reset or replaced. This is my first Toshiba and I'm still learning the hardware. I've found that the card is not easily accessible and that I had to take the entire bottom frame off to take a look. I'm not very savvy at dealing with the motherboard so I just briefly scanned for the wireless adapter card, had no luck, took a quick pic and closed it back up. I'm not sure if you are able to identify the location of the wireless adapter card, but figured I'd post the pic in case you had any information or advice.

http://i.imgur.com/NaopCG7.jpg

I really appreciate the advice and thanks for taking the time to help me out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users