Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with wireshark

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sycoguy

sycoguy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:02 PM

Since upgrading to windows 10 and purchasing a new computer I have had latency issues. I have taken a sample with wireshark and I have a text document noting the times and severity of the spikes as detected by Pingplotter. If anyone feels like looking at these and seeing if there is an obvious answer please let me know. I have no clue how to tell what information is relevant. My email address is luke1988robinette@yahoo.com and I will email the files to you as i can not upload the log on here.

i have uploaded 2 pictures. 1 is from an older computer(i3) running windows 7 and has much better latency and a spike up to mid 80s. the other is an older(but new to me i5) computer running windows 10 and has spikes up to 500ms. both were running beside each other on the same network. The i3s system time is wrong because the bios is screwed and resets. That is why i got the new computer with windows 10.Attached File  IMG_20151117_181357.jpg   153.58KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_20151117_181408.jpg   178.81KB   0 downloads

Edited by sycoguy, 17 November 2015 - 06:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:27 PM

Copy and paste the text from in the files here, rather than trying to upload the whole document.

#3 sycoguy

sycoguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:43 PM

Attached File  text log wireshark.txt   924.12KB   3 downloadsAttached File  wireshark log 2 timer.txt   186bytes   3 downloads I tried to copy paste but i think it was too large. i'm not sure if the text verion would do any good... it is only a number strand for each entry. 

*edit: I was able to open the text file in wireshark and it restored to the original.

Edited by sycoguy, 17 November 2015 - 06:45 PM.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:46 PM

Have you tried power cycling your router? (turn off wait 30 seconds, turn back on)

#5 sycoguy

sycoguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:48 PM

Yes. But the issue is not with a physical device other than my computer. My windows 7 laptop does not have the spikes but my windows 10 laptop does.

#6 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 05:42 PM

I dont think wireshark would be the best tool for latency issues without alot of editing of all the data it grabs. Cant help you there. In windows10 task manager you can look and see whats grabbing bandwidth under network. Are you using your laptop manufacturers network adapter driver?

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#7 sycoguy

sycoguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 05:50 PM

I have figured out the root of the issue. The laptops network adapter is a N-class, there is a known problem with it, setting it to only G supposedly fixes it. My spikes have went down in frequency now I am only getting a spike every two or so minutes instead of 45 seconds to a minute. I tried to check the task manager but I didn't not see anything. Thank you.

#8 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:47 PM

Ok, Good. thanks for letting us know.

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users