Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 download

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Glenn Gilbert

Glenn Gilbert

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 17 November 2015 - 03:10 PM

Hi all,

I really did not know what header I should add my question but here goes. I have a brand new Lenovo desktop which came with Windows 10 installed. I have never used Windows 10 but I am getting used to using it. I am in the position of getting a new job from home, transcription, and they say their format is only compatible with either Windows 7 or Windows 8. First of all which one of these 2 Windows programs is better and second how would I go about downloading either of these Windows programs without losing Windows 10. In other words, I would like to be able to use Windows 7 or 8 for work and Windows 10 for personal use. 

Thanks for any help you can give me, 

Glenn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:17 PM

My pick is 7, you may be able to dual boot.  There are a few fellows that can help with that.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:09 AM

I recommend Windows 7 as well, but really it just comes down to personal preference.  

In Windows 8 you have to deal with the hassle of moving between the desktop and the "tile" interface.  Most people find that annoying - in fact, MS got such bad reviews about Windows 8 that it actually laid off 15% of it's workforce.  Hence why now they're aggressively offering free upgrades to Windows 10.  

Ultimately their biggest mistake was turning Windows 8 into a "one size fits all" OS that could be used for both regular PCs and tablets.  They should've split them into 2 OSs, but they didn't.  

That's why they included the tile interface in Windows 8, to keep tablet users happy and using Windows - a colossal blunder on MS's part.  

However, some people like the tile interface as it gives them some built in apps for news feeds and other fun web based googahs.  

Also, if you're going to get Windows 8 I'd recommend getting 8.1 instead - Start menu is absent in Windows 8.  

For work purposes, I'd say that Windows 8 may have too much of a learning curve - especially if you have to record something (which it sounds like you do) or have to take incoming phone calls over a phone network, so your best bet might be to go with Windows 7.  

But ultimately it's personal preference.  I'd recommend finding someone who has a Windows 8 PC and just spending time playing around with it - or go a store and play around with it there if you can.  

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 02:02 PM

MS got such bad reviews about Windows 8 that it actually laid off 15% of it's workforce.  Hence why now they're aggressively offering free upgrades to Windows 10.   

That layoff had nothing to do with Windows 8/8.1.  

The following is an excerpt from an article at Business Insider

"In a memo to employees, Nadella said the majority of the cuts — 12,500 — would come from newly acquired Nokia. That's half of the employees who joined Microsoft from Nokia."

Edited by dc3, 18 November 2015 - 02:03 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users