Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will my PSU support this video card?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ghunt

ghunt

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:44 PM

Hi everyone,

I just ordered a refurbished HP Z400 workstation. Xeon 3.2 GHz, 8 gb RAM, 475W PSU.

I want to install a Zotac Geforce GTX 560 in it, which I believe says it requires a 450W PSU.

Will I be OK to install in this computer? I know the Xeon has kind of a high power draw but I believe the Z400 comes with a Radeon 1450 that I think has a fan on it, so if I remove that there might be enough extra juice I would be OK, but I wanted to make sure.

Edit: I should add, I'm not really a gamer per se but I do play some games on my computers, most specifically World of Warships and World of Tanks. I'd like to be able to run the graphics on a fairly high setting hence the upgrade.

Edited by ghunt, 17 November 2015 - 04:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ghunt

ghunt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 11:26 AM

Anyone???

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:34 AM

The power requirements listed for GPU's factor in the entire system draw.  I like having a little extra power from the PSU so it isn't running at capacity all the time.  If you are having issues running that card, go for a 550W or greater power supply from Corsair, Seasonic, or EVGA,

3939.png

#4 ghunt

ghunt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:07 AM

Well problem there is that the Z400 has a proprietary PSU that can't just be swapped out for a standard one. Probably why they're such a good deal online.

After some searching and digging I think this is what I want to do-

My computer has a Xeon quad core, 3.2 GHz as mentioned above.

I found some E-power 450W GPU-dedicated 5.25 bay PSU's on amazon so I think I will get one of those to power the video card.

And I figure if I'm doing that why not go a little big on the video card? So, I'm looking at a Radeon R7 370 with 4GB of VRAM (256 bit). I figure that way I shouldn't need to upgrade for awhile. But, would that be too much video card for the processor?

#5 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:10 AM

No, there is no way a gpu can be too much for a cpu.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users