Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Portable app installation on USB drive

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Elvis Maphoka

Elvis Maphoka

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:14 PM

I'd like to install repair apps and other portable software on my usb drive. How exactly do i download it directly to the drive. Do i download it directly from the internet to the usb drive,and if so how,or do i download it to the hard drive and then send it to the usb drive?Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GoFigure

GoFigure

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 04:33 PM

The easiest way to do what you want is to use the Symenu Suite (ugmfree.it).  This suite allows you to download/install over 462 apps and also has an option for the Nirsoft and Systernals programs.  Once you download and extract the software you just choose which utilities/apps you want and it downloads them and sets them up for use.  The entire system is contained in the Symenu directory so you can just copy it over to your usb drive, or extract it to your usb drive and run it from there to get the software on the drive if your harddisk is slim on space.  To use it you just run the exe and it opens a menu to show all the software you have available.  It is very convenient and updates are available and shown for each item so you will know which programs have updates available.

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:13 PM

Shure wish I had seen this before going thru all of the rigamorow I went thru.LOL

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#4 Elvis Maphoka

Elvis Maphoka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:13 PM

Lol, what matters is you finally saw it Danny.

#5 ActiveHawk

ActiveHawk

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:22 AM

You can also look for a portable program that you need, download it on your hard drive, unzip it then move it into your USB flash drive, or any external storage that you have. 

#6 Elvis Maphoka

Elvis Maphoka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:12 PM

But, Hawk, It seems to me some apps are just not optimized for flash drives, hey. It is the reason why I really needed some software/method to convert it and make it useful on flash drive-just as it's useful working from computer/laptop hard drive. I know there are the usual portable apps from portableapps.com, but the website doesn't have all the important apps.

#7 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:15 AM

First, you can install Portableapps Platform to your USB flash drive. After that, there is a folder created with name PortableApps. You can move or extract (if in zip format) any portable software into that folder so they could be launched via PortableApps menu icon on the system tray. You can run any other portable apps from different sources you wish, just by moving them to that folder I mentioned. There is no need to download apps from portableapps.com only. I'm using it that way.

Edited by devilus, 03 May 2016 - 04:16 AM.

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit, installed 2008, Samsung HD502HJ (500GB, SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, installed 2016, Samsung 850 EVO (120GB, SSD)

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, installed 2018, Intel 320 (120GB, SSD)

#8 Elvis Maphoka

Elvis Maphoka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:10 AM

Wow, thanks a lot Devilus for imparting some important info on me. Will do that!

#9 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:39 AM

Wow, thanks a lot Devilus for imparting some important info on me. Will do that!

You're welcome.

Here another trick for PortableApps software: Click on the top right corner of the popup window after launching PortableApps, select a picture in Pictures folder (created automatically on the flash drive) and use it as avatar in your menu. (I hope it works in newer versions as well. I'm using an older one.)

Edited by devilus, 03 May 2016 - 06:42 AM.

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit, installed 2008, Samsung HD502HJ (500GB, SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, installed 2016, Samsung 850 EVO (120GB, SSD)

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, installed 2018, Intel 320 (120GB, SSD)

#10 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:59 AM

But, Hawk, It seems to me some apps are just not optimized for flash drives, hey. It is the reason why I really needed some software/method to convert it and make it useful on flash drive-just as it's useful working from computer/laptop hard drive. I know there are the usual portable apps from portableapps.com, but the website doesn't have all the important apps.

When you say "...optimized for flash drives..." and "...doesn't have all the important apps..." I get the impression you are referring to certain apps which you would like to use from a flash drive but which do not have portable versions, am I right?  Some apps can be made portable by extracting the installer or with a portable wrapper (such as the one PortableApps.com uses), unfortunately, not all apps can be made portable.  That's a pure 'd fact you simply have to accept.  I should know because I use a lot of portable apps.  I fact, I always search for portable programs before I resort to installed ones.

Now about the Portable Apps launcher.  You don't have to use the Portable Apps launcher.  There are other launchers, such as SyMenu (which has already been mentioned) and Portable Start Menu (which I prefer).  I am just pointing this out so that you know you have choice.

Lastly, if you prefer to use portable programs like I do, have a look at this site... http://www.portablefreeware.com.  This is one of the first sites I check when I am looking for a portable program.

#11 Elvis Maphoka

Elvis Maphoka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 01:37 AM

Precisely Agouti! I like your quote"you have to accept some apps just cant work from a usb drive". Thanks a lot for that, and also for the link you gave me which is gonna help me with more portable apps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users