Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Word crashes when one particular document is scrolled

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:44 PM

System:  Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1
Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010
ASUS K52F laptop

I have many Word documents on this laptop and they all work fine - except for one document. When I scroll this document, Word crashes. That is, a dialog box appears with the message "Microsoft Word has stopped working". Details of the problem are shown below. This document consists of multiple images captured from a word site using Microsoft Snipping Tool plus a little text.

Is there any way to determine why this particular document crashes when all other Word documents work fine?

Note: I scanned the laptop last night with Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware, Avira, TDSSKiller. I ran CHKDSK and SFC. And I used Seagate's SeaToolsForWindows to check the integrity of the laptop hard drive. None of these tools indicated that there were any problems with the laptop.

Details of the Word crash as shown in the Windows dialog box:
 Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    WINWORD.EXE
  Application Version:    14.0.7162.5000
  Application Timestamp:    561e6c2b
  Fault Module Name:    StackHash_b9ce
  Fault Module Version:    6.1.7601.19045
  Fault Module Timestamp:    56258e62
  Exception Code:    c0000374
  Exception Offset:    000ced0b
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:    1033
  Additional Information 1:    b9ce
  Additional Information 2:    b9ce7e2624ecaf3fe4a274f2497f240c
  Additional Information 3:    e5c1
  Additional Information 4:    e5c1c4621ad3f042be159d89c9236e5d

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:56 AM

Based on the error message, there is an add-in in Word that is causing the document to crash. Try opening Word in safe mode by opening a command prompt, and type in winword.exe /safe. Or, go to the Start menu, find the Office 2010 folder, hold down the Ctrl key while clicking on Office, and keep holding the Ctrl key until you are prompted if you want to open it in Safe mode.

If you can open the document and scroll through it without issues, the problem is one of your add-ins.

You can disable add-ins by going to File>Options and selecting add-ins. Unfortunately, it will be a process of trial and error to determine which add-in may be causing the issue.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,506 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:13 PM

Also, if push comes to shove, you may want to try re-creating the document, particularly if you still have the images somewhere that makes it easy to do so.

There are occasional issues like this where the time taken to track down the root cause may be far more exhaustive than just creating a new version of the document, which most often will not crash.  If it does, then you're left with the path described by sflatechguy.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 GoFigure

GoFigure

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 04:48 PM

You can try opening it via another means and then copy the data to create a new document or even save it with another program.  Libreoffice, Google Chrome with Chrome Office Viewer Extension, or even online without any software using drive.google.com and login with your account.  There are also free docx viewers available.  I have used several of these solutions for 'difficult' documents in the past.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users