Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Movies from a Hard drive

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jake21

jake21

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:08 PM

Presently have a lot of movies in DVD format, along with plenty of avi files. Getting too large to manage as DVD disks. Looking for a program or way to put these on an external USB hard drive and play through my TV that has a USB plug. Hoping for something not too complicated....any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:28 PM

First thing: Converting DVDs

When you say DVD format, what do you mean? Folders with folders in them labeled "VIDEO_TS" and "AUDIO_TS"? Best way, if you want to conserve space, is to encode the dvds as something smaller. You will need a program that can compress the dvd video and audio into a file an .MP4 or .AVI file. When I converted my collection I used programs called DvdFab, DvdShrink, and Handbrake. Dvdfab/Shrink decrypts the disc and creates the Audio/Video_TS folders. Handbrake re-encodes the dvd rips into a smaller, easier to manage files. You can also play the DVDs in their raw format, instead of compressed, if you want. It all depends on how much hard drive space you have.

Second thing: Playing the DVD rips

This is where it can get more complicated. There are numerous ways to play movie files and such on a TV. My preferred method is just connect a computer with the right software. You can also stream from another computer to a Playstation 3/4 or a dongle like the Chrome Cast. What you go with all depends on your setup. We can get to this part later if you want to convert the DVDs to something that is easier to manage.

Edited by Gorbulan, 17 November 2015 - 12:30 PM.

#3 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 03:58 PM

Thank you. The DVD's are standard format VIDEO TS and AUDIO TS folders. The avi are mostly home video and saved a .avi files. Space is not a problem for me. I want to purchase an external 2T hard drive and hook directly to the TV's USB port and play. I have used ROKU type arrangements to play video, but the problem is I have to keep the computer on downstairs while I watch a movie upstairs. What I am looking for is an independent stand alone idea using just the 2T portable Hard drive, and the TV. Some thoughts....and thanks again...

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:53 PM

If disk space is no problem, you do not have to convert the DVD's. But, it can make things convenient. If the TV supports playing media from external devices, then yes it is totally possible. The files must be the right format for the TV to read them, TV's tend not support a wide variety of codecs. What TV is it exactly? What size?

#5 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 12:07 PM

The TV is a SAMSUNG SERIES 5/ 550 LCD TV. 32 INCH HI DEF. It has 3 HDMI ports, something called WISELINK which appears to be a USB port.

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:59 PM

According to the manual to your "Samsung 32" Class 550 Series 1080p LCD HDTV" TV, it supports external devices connected to the USB port, such as flash drives and bigger hard drives. It also has a Media Play feature which allows you to watch the videos located on a PC in your home. Now that we have established it can play media, we can move on to watching the media.

Have you decided to compress the DVD rips or do you want to leave them as they are? If you leave them alone, when you open the file on the TV you will need to skip advertisements and navigate a menu to get to actual feature on the DVD. If you compress the DVD you can exclude the menu and advertisements, among others, allowing you to watch the title immediately.

#7 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:08 PM

WOW...great help!!! I think I would like to keep the files as original..if I ever have a problem I have the original file in original file type/format,etc. OK...on to the next step. What programs to use to watch, how to access the USB HARD DRIVE movies,etc.

Edited by jake21, 20 November 2015 - 09:04 AM.

#8 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:39 PM

The TV has the software for watching media built-in. The manual implies that all you have to do is connect the hard drive to the USB port, and the TV will have a popup window that appears, allowing you to select "Media Play".

Here is a link to the TV's manual, just in case you need it. Page 29 is where it details the Media Play feature.

Edited by Gorbulan, 20 November 2015 - 12:39 PM.

#9 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 05:36 PM

Thanks...tremendous help....Let's see if I can get it up n running...thanks again!!!!!!!!!!

#10 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 04:18 AM

You're welcome. Good luck!

#11 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:33 PM

Thought I would bring you up to date on my progress here....I found out some interesting points. First off a big tip of the hat to ya for the help. Here's where it all gets weird. I was able to connect the hard drive via the USB (WISELINK) port on the Samsung TV. I was able to view music and photo's only...no video files were displayed. A little snooping around, I discovered that this particular TV ( series 550) has WISELINK, and WISELINK PRO is needed if you want to play video files. WISELINK by itself will not play video files. I thought the natural plan would be to just upgrade my version of WISELINK to WISELINK PRO and be there....BUT.....no can do. So...looks like I'm sorta stuck to looking for a different approach. What I'm thinking is somehow hooking the USB Hard drive to Computer, and "stream" to TV. I have a wireless network in the home..so maybe that might be my only option.

All the above is for your information......thanks again!!!!

#12 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:19 PM

Oh of course there is something like that!

Alternatives include playing video with a computer connected to the TV, or streaming video with a device or computer connected to the TV. Using a computer directly is the best method since it has the least components, meaning less can go wrong. If you can not manage a computer, a game console , or device like a tablet or Apple TV can do the job. You may need to stream the content from a computer, depending on the set up. This is where things can get complicated.

You can connect to a PC with the TV, but it is still the Media Play feature, which may prohibit video playback since it is not the Media Play+ Special Edition or whatever. The TV can connect wirelessly, but only with the Samsung Wireless Adapter, according to the manual.

#13 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:59 PM

Good points, thanks again. I'm beginning to see why we are pushed to newer TV's, now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users