Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New build ideas

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Briank213

Briank213

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:59 AM

Hello all, first would like to thank anyone that takes a look at this. This is will be my 2nd build as my current has reached the point of death. Lol

I want a pc that can play on high settings but with my budget, it know it may not happen. Medium is fine.

Current build: Alienware case

P5Q SE plus Asus motherboard
Intel core 2 duo E7300 Wolfdale
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT
4 gb DDR2 RAM
700W OCZ Power supply
These are the only items I need to replace. Keeping the current 1TB HD and Cdrom.

My budget is around 500$ and I would like to stick to Intel. Any idea's on what I should get would be appreciated.

I can build just not sure on the compatibility of parts and there is just too much to fluctuation with video cards to know which one to get to go with the build. I just want the best bang for the buck.

Someone suggested this build and I'd like a second opinion.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9ZqNt6

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:10 AM

The good news is you may be able to reuse the power supply and the various disk drives, which will save you money.  The bad news is that most of what you do have to buy can get rather expensive depending on your use case.  You may need a new PC case, that is, depending on whether or not your current one accepts standard ATX motherboards.  If it does, you're all set there.  With the operating system, if you are using a non-System Builder/OEM version but a full, boxed retail version of Windows, you can move it to another PC.  With the System Builder/OEM editions, those are tied to your motherboard and cannot be moved.  As for the other components, you'll need new RAM, CPU, motherboard, GPU, and operating system.

That PCPartPicker build is based on the older Intel platform which is slowly being phased out for the Skylake platform, plus, it doesn't have a copy of the operating system.

You may not get a high-end PC with that budget, but you should get something reasonable at around $500.  You will probably not be able to get a current Intel platform based on Skylake at a sub-$500 budget.  I priced out a build with the least expensive i5 Skylake processor (i5 6400 6M), a basic motherboard (Gigabyte GA-H170-D3HP), cheap DDR4 RAM (1 8GB stick of DDR4-2133), and a full version of Windows 10 Home, and you only had about $40 for a GPU.  I suggest increasing your budget if at all possible.  Most games utilize the GPU very heavily so I recommend getting a good one, such as a GTX 970, which is more expensive than your PCPartPicker build.

3939.png

#3 Briank213

Briank213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:56 PM

I wonder if it would just be easier to go to a laptop? I know cyber Monday is coming up so I might be able to hold off if I can find a good laptop build. I appreciate your feedback. I have a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate that I was planning on using to save a little bit money there. My case should work because it's an Alienware and it's big enough to hold just about anything.

#4 Briank213

Briank213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:58 PM

Also the power supply is dying so I have to replace it. It ran for 6 years so I can't bleep.

#5 Briank213

Briank213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:22 PM

If anyone sees a good laptop deal for Black Friday that can run the latest software let me know.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:43 AM

Laptops for gaming are rarely a good idea, unless you are playing older games or those not requiring a high-end GPU.  I suggest replacing your dying PSU, saving some money, around $600 to $700, and upgrading then.

If you are going to get a laptop, the Microsoft Store sells them after they reimage the machine and thus removing all the junk manufacturers insist on installing.  I believe they call it "Signature Edition" PC's.

Edited by DJBPace07, 18 November 2015 - 08:48 AM.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users