Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can you simply swap logical HDs via a cloning software without reinstalling tOS?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SPL Tech

SPL Tech

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 11:47 PM

I have a 10k Velociraptor in my desktop right now and I want to get an SSD. I am wondering if I use some form of cloning software if I can simply copy the entire logical drive over to my SSD and then boot with the SSD without having to reinstall Windows? The only caveat is the new hard drive will be larger than the old one, so the sizes dont match.
CPU: Core Two Duo 2.13 GHz. E6400 OC'ed to 3.0 GHz. / 380 FSB RAM: 2 GB. Corsair 800 MHz. XMS2 DDR2
GPU: X1900XT 512MB Connect3D Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
PSU: 535 watt Enermax Whisper II HD: (2) 320 GB. Seagate Barracuda 16 MB. 7,200 RPM SATA II
OD: 52X DVD±RW Monitors: (2) Hanns-G JW199D 19" 16:10 widescreen DVI in extended desktop mode

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:37 AM

Sure, you can just clone the disk and swap them.

I use Acronis to to this, but EaseUS is also popular. Both these applications will proportionally modify your partition sizes for the clone.

#3 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 17 November 2015 - 04:15 AM

Agree as Above , but if you have issues possibly ,  i prefer MiniTool Partition Wizard  for the Clone , will do all thats required.

EG:    Here are several copy methods:

• Fit partitions to entire disk.
  • Copy partitions without resize.
  • Copy partitions with minimum size. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users