Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

To Install SP2 or not, that is the question

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Hanna

Hanna

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 03 December 2004 - 12:17 AM

Hi, a month or so ago I downloaded SP2 from the Microsoft site, or tried but it never downloaded correctly, probably because I didn't disable some things. I am a complete novice and until I read a thread here tonight didn't know those things should be disabled. I ordered the disc from Microsoft and it came a few days ago. I need some help installing it. Some of the components of SP2 show up on "Add and Remove Programs" that I cannot remove. Do I leave those and go ahead with installation? Also, exactly what all should I disable? I have Norton Internet Security 2005, Spybot Search and Destroy, Spyblaster, Adaware. I know I should be offline to install it, right? Any help appreciated.

Sharon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 03 December 2004 - 12:57 AM

Darn good question, [b]sharon[b].

I've learned from trial & error. Simply start the computer. It will do what it normally does.

It does this:
  • it runs a POST, which is just a check of all the circuits. PowerOnSelfTest
  • It passes the test
  • Next is BIOS. Thats just the Basic "motherboard" OperatingSystem
  • It passes that test
  • The Windows Operating System then begins to "load"
  • That part is called a Boot Initialization
  • The programs that begin then start to act
  • The "welcome screen" & logon details happen
  • Programs that are setup to begin when you first see your desktop start to enter into "service"
  • The desktop itself is a program, and you see it
  • Any program that will run from the start will be up and running before too much longer
  • Those that have tray icons will appear.
  • So, any tray icons, just open 'em up, by clicking or right-clicking & close them.
  • Don't open any browsers, like you mentioned. Stay offline.
  • Don't worry about System Restore.
  • The SP2 cd will take a while, I think 45 minutes - an hour & a half.
  • What it's doing is checking all those 40+ updates and adding/subtracting files
  • Really, it's easy
Now, when its over, quite a few things have changed.
  • In Add/Remove Programs where you once had hot fixes & KBnumbers you'll just have SP2 listed. That's OK
  • You will be"introduced" to the Security Center.
  • It does three things
  • 1. tells you to auto-update or not. You choose
  • 2. Tells you if you have anti-virus running and if it is out-of-date
  • 3. Tells you the firewall is on. If you want it off, do so. Turn it off.
You can reboot now & let those boot-initialization programs start the way they used to. If you have a firewall, or anti-virus program then:
  • The security system will react
  • If it recognizes the ones you run, good. No problem. It'll tell you so.
  • If it doesn't, or it thinks that the anti-virus is out-of-date it'll tell you so.
  • Then its time to go online.
  • There is another update waiting at Windows update for you, too.
Basically, simply understand it might take a couple hours & a few reboots & goin' on & offline a few times to let it "settle in" and for you to "explore it".

When using programs that don't automatically start up, simply try them out to see if they work the same as they did before. If not, exactly how do they differ?

System restore will automatically set a new restore point when doing this. After a few days of using the system fully updated, you may want to disable/re-enable your system restore to eliminate all points prior to the SP2. To avoid problems that would cause.

If you have problems with your programs working right, check with the company involved. Or use something else. Chances a very good, a better option in freeware might exist that works just fine. You can spend time at Microsoft Help & Support, too. They have a pages & links devoted to particular programs with particular problems & the solutions. Do it if you must. No sense worrying about 90% of 'em though IMO.

Thats about the size of it. Like everything, one thing leads to another. Remember that when you update at Windows, you can't even exit or minimize the window while doin' it. Think, well, they want to be alone when changing 17,000 files around. No surprise. The fact is the biggest problem is having problems with your PC before you install SP2, ones you might not know you have. If your PC is working about normal, and you don't have a lotta malware playin' around in it, its a good time to get current.

Go from there forward.

Opinions other than mine are valid, also. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 Hanna

Hanna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2004 - 01:13 AM

Thanks for the great instructions! Just like i have to have 'em. LOL. I have copied them and am printing them out. Gonna give 'er a try.

By the way...do you use FireFox? Think I would like it? Where do I get it and what do I do about IE...leave it on my computer too?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

#4 Hanna

Hanna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2004 - 01:42 AM

Well, that didn't work! I got the same error message when I tried to download SP2 from the Microsoft Website....it got almost through and I got an error message "cannot read to or write from the database". What does that mean? Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!
Sharon :thumbsup:

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2004 - 02:39 AM

OK, lets tackle it.

The download is many MB's. The CD is what you want to use. My first install of SP2 was a downloaded version that took my poor medium-quality PC on dialup 13+ hours.
Online updating brings into the picture other factors, let's skip 'em for now.

Some of the components of SP2 show up on "Add and Remove Programs" that I cannot remove.

an updated IE, for instance, and some others of the updates to SP1 actually are labelled as SP2. Don't worry about those. SP2 identifies present status of the OS & compensates for it. The CD is the ticket, since it can be run under circumstances that auto-downloading or on-demand downloading doesn't always permit.

I got an error message "cannot read to or write from the database".

Sounds typically microsoftish to me. Again, the CD is self-contained and doesn't rely on the website at all to load. You may be describing the need to have the activeX app that allows the new v5 screen to work at the website itself. The old v4 was, i don't know how to say it, how they had the updates done before they released SP2. It was one way , then in August it changed. For everyone with every version/update level At some point you'll need to download just that little "under 1 MB" application to use the "facility" at windows updates the "new way". That can sometimes be a problem getting if your settings in IE are "goofed up". Meaning if you somehow have told the system you want no part of any active X downloads. You can check by going:
  • start

• control panel

• network & internet connections

• Internet options

• Security

• default level

• apply

• OK
and see if that helps.
That basically tells the system you have made no special attempt to block anything from any of what it sees as Zones. Sometimes a user group problem exists. That is when you are logged on as "user" who can't because of "permissions" make system changes like installing programs. Do you have problems installing programs of other kinds?

Bottomline to me is that I don't hear ya' sayin "I put the CD in the tray" and let it do what it does. So, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

By the way...do you use FireFox? Think I would like it? Where do I get it and what do I do about IE...leave it on my computer too?

Yes I do. You get it Here. You certainly can install it and IE stays, too. You simply have a choice which to use. I use both, IE 10%, FF 90%. You will need a rather larger 90MB download from Java to make FF work in the way you'd expect it too at many websites. The java runtime environment is to FF what activeX is to IE. basically. So rather than do two download/installs and experimentation with them simultaneously with the SP1 to SP2 process, you should plan accordingly. Install FF after SP2, or do it before, but give yourself some time to err in the trial & error that all modifications to your PC involve to some extent. :thumbsup:

#6 Hanna

Hanna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2004 - 02:57 AM

OK will try your suggestions. I did put the CD in the tray and it automatically does its thing. I haven't had trouble installing anything else....uh...so far...(she says with all fingers and toes crossed for luck). I will try again and will be back with a post in a little. You may be gone to be by then though???? I want to thank you for your patience and help. I am going to get rid of Norton if this doesn't work and have bookmarked the ones you gave someone else a few weeks ago (I have been surfing other posts to see what I can learn while waiting on your replies, lol).

Sharon (a little bit sleepy myself but I am a night owl)

#7 Hanna

Hanna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2004 - 02:15 PM

I uninstalled Norton and tried to install SP2 again. Got the same error message:
Service Pack 2 setup error: Unable to read from or write to the database.

I did not reinstall Norton because I think it is part of the problem. I installed Sygate firewall. Does this firewall also have email protection in it? I am afraid to open my email until I am sure I have some email protection on here.

Any other suggestions of how to fix the error problem and SP2 not installing would be appreciated!

Thanks!

#8 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2004 - 03:09 PM

I did not reinstall Norton because I think it is part of the problem.

OK, thats not a bad idea for starters. Do you have the SystemWorks? I'd like to know exactly which program you were running.

I installed Sygate firewall. Does this firewall also have email protection in it?

This firewall works well. In several ways. To say it has email protection wouldn't be a definitive answer, rather it is protecting in the ways a firewall does. More specifically, email protection as such is provided by the anti-virus programs. For instance, AVG installed will give you a new option on your right-click flyout menu when dealing with any file on your PC. The one you use to choose options regarding what to do with a file or folder image. You'll notice that folder happens to be a folder of .mp3 files. "scan with AVG" appears as an option, and this will enact action. Notice it is "started manually". AVG, an anti-virus program, also provides "resident protection". It is one I have set to load at startup, and while I use the PC, all file/folder activity is monitored in the background.

If I copy anything from email, or open downloads, AVG is in action immediately.

Also, I use two free email services online. Yahoo & gmail. Neither is known to be "excellent". I don't care. Both provide built-in email protection independent of my own on hard drive. Gmail I use from it's optional "secure site", as a added measure of security. I have no problems with viruses.

I download many things on a daily basis, including suspected problem activeX "cabinets & files". I do so with FF, and manually scan them. I visit problem sites, again I rely on AVG & FF's built in protection. I use Sygate firewall, also. Spybot S&D also comes into play, when considering the question you posed. It has a special downloads scan function when I place the folder that I download into on it's unique tool function. Further, spywareBlaster identifies any known bad activeX.

Therefore, its entirely possible to meet or exceed the utility of Norton, for instance, with several smaller, specific programs.

Back to the operating system update. An article by Copyright © 2004 Hans-Georg Michna was
google top response when I used your error description to past into the search field.
I have not read it all, however it looks promising with regards to current information.

Using quotes around your message brought me one result Scot's forum and there are some links within the discussion thread there. It'll be something to read while I do the same... given my present time constraints.

#9 Hanna

Hanna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2004 - 03:14 PM

OK great! I will read the same stuff you are reading. I like to do that...I just don't trust myself to make the right choices. Thank you sooooo much! Will look forward to hearing more from you when you have time. In the meantime, I will be looking for solutions too and trying out some of the suggestions you make about email safety. A big thanks to you Sgt.

Sharon

#10 Hanna

Hanna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2004 - 03:17 PM

Oops! You asked if I have SystemWorks. I was running Symantec Internet Sercurity 2005 which had the firewall, norton antivurs, adblocking etc. all in one product. Before that I had the separate Firewall and Norton antivirus 2004 which I had upgraded to the 2004 from 2003 version online.

Sharon

#11 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2004 - 03:30 PM

The program
"provides essential protection from viruses, hackers, and privacy threats. Norton AntiVirus is the world’s most trusted antivirus solution.* Norton Personal Firewall keeps personal data in and hackers out. And Norton Privacy Control, Norton AntiSpam, and Norton Parental Control safeguard you and your family from other common online risks."
I discussed some thoughts about this recently with moodman.
another thread here. Basically I did check into a similar situation, and some information applies in this case as well IMO.

#12 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 03 December 2004 - 04:05 PM

Someone else with the same problem with SP2 said you first got to do a Repair Installation of Windows XP. Then it should work.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#13 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2004 - 04:22 PM

That may indeed be true, Mr. Alpha. Good point, and ThankYou. :thumbsup: In which case we need to know:
  • Is a winXP CD available?
  • or is it a PC that uses a "special partition for recovery"?
  • Have you put your personal data onto CD's as a backup?
  • so you can reload it after the repair... meaning, sometimes it's just as easy to re-install windows once you start to use it for repair. In which case "all data will be lost".
  • Do you have a CD-RW or optical drive you can burn disks with?
  • What computer do you use, Hanna?

Edited by phawgg, 03 December 2004 - 04:23 PM.

#14 Hanna

Hanna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2004 - 04:35 PM

I have a HP pavillion 503N. I do not have an XP disc. I know I had to call a service tech at Best Buy where I bought it and he walked me through re-storing everything one time. So I guess I have the partition thing.

Yes I have a CD-RW...I have burned jpegs on a disc before, but have never backed up my files on discs. I have a bunch of CD-R empty discs if you can tell me step by step how to burn backup discs. :thumbsup:

#15 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2004 - 05:42 PM

microsoft on CD-R & CD-RW creation This can help you get started. Much more can be said, but why not start using the built in CD Writing Wizard. See if that works, first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users