Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to install Avira antivirus.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 YukonJon

YukonJon

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:38 PM

Avira kept telling me my system was not supported and needed an update which constantly had me rebooting my system leaving me where I was to begin with. I uninstalled the program and tried to reinstall but now I am getting errors. I do not necessarily need Avira. Anything reliable enough in comparison will do. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,751 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 10:04 PM

How do I uninstall my Avira product?
Instructions for manual uninstallation of Avira

Avira Download Center: Avira RegistryCleaner <- removes all registry entries (remants) created by Avira products
Avira RegistryCleaner Direct Download
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,751 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 10:06 PM

If you decide to remove Avira, I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware if choosing a paid for program as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason. If you don't want to pay then I would recommend avast! Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition.

Keep in mind that an offer of free anti-virus software is essentially a marketing technique...a way of advertising and enticement to get folks to try a product and if they like it, to purchase the full (or Pro) version which typically provides more features. As such, users may have to deal with occasional nagging pop-ups or nuisance advertising and prompts to upgrade to the paid version. By using such free programs, you are essentially agreeing to the terms of the vendor's service which includes those ads...see ad-supported software.

Also keep in mind that many anti-virus vendors are bundling toolbars and other software with their products as a cost recoup measure. In fact, all free Anti-virus programs now come with toolbars or other bundled software except Bitdefender Free.ESET and Emsisoft Anti-Malware also have the added advantage of blocking the installation of most Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) (such as adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers) if you enable that feature.

eam_pup_728x574_en.png

Also keep in mind than an anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution for maximum protection.

See my comments in Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium and Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

#4 James255

James255

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 27 November 2015 - 04:56 AM

uninstall  Avira Antivirus

Windows 10

Click the Windows icon in the lower left hand corner of your screen → Settings → System → Apps & features

Click first on "Avira Antivirus" and subsequently on Uninstall

Confirm the following product uninstall notification with Uninstall

Confirm the request of the “User Account Control” with Yes

Confirm the request of the Avira setup with Yes

The Avira Setup will take some minutes to uninstall the product

Confirm the notification to restart your system with Yes

After the reboot of your PC the Avira product is completely removed

Windows 8.1

Keyboard shortcut Windows Logo+F → Control Panel → Programs and Features
    Click with the right mouse button on “Avira Antivirus” and select with the left mouse button Uninstall
    Confirm the following product uninstall notification with Yes
    Confirm the activation of the Windows Firewall with Yes
    The Avira Setup will take some minutes to uninstall the product
    Confirm the notification to restart your system with Yes
    After the reboot of your PC the Avira product is completely removed

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,751 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2015 - 08:56 AM

That information is a copy and paste from the first link I provided in Post #2. BC welcomes members posting computer related information they may find. However, by policy, we ask that everyone follow some simple guidelines that comply with what constitutes fair use under US Copyright Law.

Copying and pasting information from another source in such a manner is not permitted in accordance with this policy...

Copyrights And You

...In addition to Bleeping Computer's Copyrights and the Copyrights of its members, we must also take care not to violate anyone else's Copyrights. It is tempting, sometimes, to simply copy and paste whole articles from other sources into a forum posting, but this is not allowed. I accordance with the "fair use" doctrine, members may post brief excerpts (the first paragraph of an article, for example) and then should provide a link to the original so that interested members may read the entire article.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 27 November 2015 - 09:31 AM

Revo Uninstaller Pro is a great tool for removing all traces of either 32-bit or 64-bit programs; it's not free, however, I have used it to successfully remove major and minor programs, and no harm/no foul after a restart to refreshen Windows.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,751 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:19 AM

Revo Uninstaller Free is still available in an older version which I use.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 27 November 2015 - 06:18 PM

Revo Uninstaller Free is still available in an older version which I use.

Correct!  However, if this is about a 64bit OS, eventually, the OP is going to run into 64bit programs  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users