Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade for photo processing: Mobo, CPU, SSD?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 paul5000

paul5000

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:24 PM

Hi! I have a system that's 6 years old and am finding sluggish - pretty sure the processor is my main bottleneck.

SPECS:

Gigabyte H55M-S2H motherboard

Intel Core i3 530

8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 RAM

ATI Radeon HD 5770 Vapor-x graphics

Western Digital 1tb WD10EARS  hard drive

550watt Cooler Master power supply

Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit

Large Cooler Master Case

I don't really game anymore, but take lots of big photos (25mb) and process them in Adobe Lightroom.  I want: fast image loading & post-processing in Lightroom, and fast copying on my drive.

My thinking is to upgrade my CPU and get a mobo to match (and also give USB 3.0). Thinking that a small SSD for Windows 10 and some programs would be a good call as well.

Considering these new parts:

Intel i5 4690

Gigabyte GA H97-D3H

100-250 gig SSD to pair with existing Hard drive

Questions:

Will my other components be compatible?

Is the 4690 overkill? Would something else give better value? I'm not into overclocking.

My version of Windows 10 was the free upgrade from my OEM Windows 7. Will I be able to keep it?

Thanks!!

Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 09:07 PM

Your choice of parts is good. You will not be able to transfer windows unless you have a retail copy.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 paul5000

paul5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 09:19 PM

Your choice of parts is good. You will not be able to transfer windows unless you have a retail copy.

Thanks for the tips! I Actually ordered an i7-870 off ebay (brand new apparently) for $110 - hoping it will bring me some budget-friendly happiness without changing my mobo, buying windows again, etc.

Do I need to get a new cooling fan? (new one doesn't come with one).

I also can't find anything about BIOS changes, but people have told me I may have to. I've never changed a CPU before.

Thx!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users