Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Even After Reinstalling Windows, Content Display and Connectivity Issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SPL Tech

SPL Tech

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:57 PM

Since Windows 10 first came out I have had it installed with no issue. However, yesterday I started having random problems all related to connectivity and content display.

- Some pages will randomly not load correctly in Firefox, IE or Chrome. Sometimes only part of the page will load correctly, sometimes I will get an error like "cannot establish secure connection" or some other form of error. In some cases, simply refreshing the page will solve the issue, in other cases I have to browse the page in a different browser. Some pages display correctly in one browser but not another.

- Origin will sometimes not display content in it's browser correctly.

- Downloads will sometimes fail to complete correctly.

- Sometimes I cannot search for extensions in Firefox. Sometimes Firefox says no extensions are found, other times I will try to install an extension and it will simply say it cannot be installed.

- I cannot run the Windows Media Creation tool. I have even tried downloading it from another computer and transferring it over to my computer.

- Even the "photo" button on this post does not activate when I click it, but some of the other buttons do--yet simply refreshing the page fixes it.

- Sometimes images or videos will not display correctly.

- ALL problems are completely random (but very frequent), sometimes pages display fine, others not, sometimes fine in one browser but not another.

Now here is the strange thing. I have reinstalled Windows 10 (wiping all user data) THREE times now. In every case after Windows is installed, all I download is my Nvidia display driver and Firefox, with absolutely nothing else, and even still I am having these problems. Two of the reinstalls were using the Windows reset feature (without retaining the old programs and features) and in one case I was able to reinstall using the media creation tool on a USB drive. I completely deleted the system partition to ensure no data was retained before reinstalling windows.

In addition to reinstalling Windows several times I have tried:

- Resetting my router

- Switching from Ethernet to wireless for Internet

- Swapping Ethernet cables

- Reinstalling Firefox, Chrome and Origin

- Using display drivers from different download locations (one from Nvidia's website, one from Gigabyte)

This problem is extremely baffling as reinstalling Windows does not seem to solve the problem.

Here are some photos of various issues:

Untitled.png

Untitled4.png

Untitled6.png

Untitled8.png

Untitled45.png

Untitled99.png

Untitled7878.png

Untitledpopo.png

CPU: Core Two Duo 2.13 GHz. E6400 OC'ed to 3.0 GHz. / 380 FSB RAM: 2 GB. Corsair 800 MHz. XMS2 DDR2
GPU: X1900XT 512MB Connect3D Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
PSU: 535 watt Enermax Whisper II HD: (2) 320 GB. Seagate Barracuda 16 MB. 7,200 RPM SATA II
OD: 52X DVD±RW Monitors: (2) Hanns-G JW199D 19" 16:10 widescreen DVI in extended desktop mode

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:17 PM

It sounds like you've been quite thorough, but I do have one more suggestion that involves territory you've already covered, but with two small twists.

If you have not created new media since the fall update rolled out a few days ago with the Media Creation Tool you should really do so.  In addition, though this seems to vary from person to person and machine to machine, people have had problems with Win10 installations from USB more frequently than from DVD, so I'd create the media on DVD and boot it that way.  The Media Creation Tool should be run on a working machine and you should download the correct Win10 version for each machine you intend to work on to its own DVD.

I'd do a full, clean installation if you can and recover your data from backups if you have them.

I'm sorry if this is something you've already tried, but if not it's worth a try.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 SPL Tech

SPL Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:48 PM

I used the media creation tool last night, and downloaded Windows last night so I have the latest build. I also ran system update several times and it says my system is up to date. However, now I cant run the media creation tool at all. It gives the error message displayed above.

On a side note, is there any difference between using the media creation tool and simply doing a system reset (not restore, reset)? This is assuming you select not to retain user data and do a fresh reinstall.

Edited by SPL Tech, 16 November 2015 - 08:49 PM.

CPU: Core Two Duo 2.13 GHz. E6400 OC'ed to 3.0 GHz. / 380 FSB RAM: 2 GB. Corsair 800 MHz. XMS2 DDR2
PSU: 535 watt Enermax Whisper II HD: (2) 320 GB. Seagate Barracuda 16 MB. 7,200 RPM SATA II
OD: 52X DVD±RW Monitors: (2) Hanns-G JW199D 19" 16:10 widescreen DVI in extended desktop mode

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:04 PM

I noticed your issue with running the Media Creation Tool (MCT), hence my direction to you to run it on another machine if necessary.  However, if your installation media is DVD and the download was from last night it's about as fresh as it can get.  The DVD created by the MCT is bootable, so if it's on DVD and you've placed the optical drive in the boot order ahead of the hard disc it should boot and you should be good to go.

I don't think there's a substantial difference between a Reset recovery without saving your own files and doing a fresh install of Win10, but there's got to be *some* difference, even if it's only the method used to obtain the copy of Win10, since it's static with the MCT but downloads whatever MS has currently queued up for the Reset recovery.  If someone else knows the "under the hood" details about the difference it would be interesting to hear what they are.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 SPL Tech

SPL Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:36 PM

I am wondering if it's just a bug in the November build release. However, it seems extremely strange that Microsoft wouldn't have caught something this serious. The effects are so profound it basically makes browsing impossible on any browser, and it has several other reaching effects. I would think Microsoft would have caught that which leads me to believe it's something platform specific. At the moment it seems as if the only solution is to downgrade to Windows 7. However, that's not a legitimate solution as I have been running Windows 10 now for a few months without issue.

Of course I have tried calling Microsoft but their "technicians" are about as qualified as some random person walking down the sidewalk, thus they are totally useless.

Edited by SPL Tech, 16 November 2015 - 09:39 PM.

#6 SPL Tech

SPL Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:49 PM

Arrg, this is so weird! All day I have been trying to run the media creation tool without success. I keep getting the error code listed above, now all of a sudden it works fine... Anyway, I am going to burn an .iso to DVD and try that again. This is a similar issue I had with Origin where I could not connect to the server. I would try to log in over and over, then eventually it just worked. I did some research on both the issue with logging into Origin as well as the error code I got with the media creation tool and some of the form posts I read said it has to do with an incorrect time/ date setting. However, my time/ date is set to auto and as a result it's accurate... So I guess it's something else...

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,422 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:01 AM

Instead of using the MCT you can download the iso direct from here. There seems to be a tremendous amount of connectivity issues with Win10 and some chipsets, especially earlier ones from broadcom used by Dell. This thread has over 130000 views on the problem.

I can almost guarantee this is a Windows 10 issue and not your hardware. You could confirm it by downloading a linux distro like Mint and boot the Live DVD. Connect and see if your problems still occur. If you want a smaller download use FatDog64

Personally, I think Windows 10 was released too early. Hopefully the big service release coming next year called Redstone will solve some of the issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users