Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System does not recognize new memory

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:50 PM

Dell Inspiron 3521, factory installed Windows 8.0, no previous hardware changes.

Installed memory is 4 GB, in one module occupying one of the 2 memory slots..  We purchased from Crucial an additional 4 GB module, part number CT3964807, description "Upgrade for a Dell Inspiron 3521 system, 4 GB DDR3-1600 SODIMM 1.35V CL11".

Speccy describes the installed memory as single channel DDR3, 4096 MB, DRAM frequency 798.1 MHz, CL 11, cycle time 28 clocks, etc.  The new memory board looks exactly like the one already installed, and fits the slot perfectly.

So what do I need to do to persuade the system to recognize the additional memory?  I went through the UEFI boot menu without finding anything about detecting memory?  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for enlightenment!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 11:18 PM

Hello Saluqi:

Please try reversing the order of the two SODIMMs and/or substituting the old SODIMM with the new one and reply to this topic's thread with your observations of the UEFI boot menu, etc.

Thank you.

Edited by 1PW, 17 November 2015 - 12:06 AM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#3 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 559 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:27 PM

Reversing the positions of the SODIMMS solved the problem.  It seems the new SODIMM was not seating properly in the upper slot.  I didn't even have to enter the setup.  The machine booted normally and Speccy showed me that it now has 8 GB of memory.

I suppose the UEFI setup is now irrelevant, but FWIW I previously went through the following steps:

from the Charms menu, select "Change PC Settings"

select "General"

select "Advanced startup - Restart now"

select "Troubleshoot"

select "Advanced options"

select "UEFI firmware settings"

Restart

In Boot Manager, select "Enter Setup"

In the various sections of the Setup screens, I found nothing selectable that pertained to memory or memory detection.

It's been many years since I was doing BIOS setup on a daily basis (used to work in a systems house, building custom computers, installing and setting up networks, and writing software) and it's become a whole lot more complex since then.  I've no idea whether I was doing the right thing?  Guess I need to do some studying . . . 

Thanks much!

#4 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 559 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 05:33 PM

One additional footnote: going from 1 SODIMM in 1 slot to 2 SODIMMs in 2 slots changed the memory configuration from "single channel" to "dual channel".  I gather that provided a significant increase in speed, over and beyond the doubling of memory capacity. I haven't done any actual performance testing (and probably won't, too busy just now) but that's what I gather from "reading around". Comments would be welcome, they might increase my understanding <G>.

#5 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:26 PM

Hello Saluqi:

Since you had made a perfectly compatible SODIMM upgrade choice/purchase, very few things could caused the installation failure you initially saw..

Without question you have made one of the best possible choices for a system upgrade.  Good luck with your new capability.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users