Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video card idles at high temperatures with 3 monitors

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SaTex

SaTex

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:47 PM

Hey everybody,

I am experiencing a strange issue with my video card when trying to run a multi monitor setup. I typically run two monitors on my PC and have had no issues in the past, but recently I decided to add a 3rd monitor to the mix to increase productivity. When I add the 3rd monitor my GPU temperature rises, GPU usage remains low, and fans spin up a little bit more than usual.

During normal use with 2 monitors I typically run around 31 to 32 C and with the third monitor connected my temperatures jump to 58 to 60 C. My room gets very hot after a while and it isn't very enjoyable to do work or browse the web. 

I've tried using EVGA Precision, MSI Afterburner, and even Zotac FireStorm to control and fix the temperature issue but even at 100% fan I STILL have a video card running at 60C.

The monitors are connected via DVI, HDMI, and Displayport (I had originally connected the 3rd monitor via DVI, however it had the temperature issue. A friend suggested I try a display port adapter to DVI and see if it fixes the issue but no joy)

The video card is a GTX 780 manufactured by Zotac. In case it matters an ASUS 24" monitor populates the DVI Port, an LG 40" TV is connected via HDMI and I have tried 2 dell monitors in the DVI/Display port area. A 17 inch 1280x1024 monitor and a 24 inch 1680x1050 monitor.

I'm running Windows 8.1 64bit with the latest nVidia drivers. However I'm still not sure if its a hardware or software issue. I've had this issue on W10 and W8.1 both wish fresh installs of Windows and fresh driver installs. 

At this point I'm looking for any help in pointing me in the right directions for troubleshooting or figuring out if it may be a hardware issue. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:21 PM

Hello and Welcome to Bleeping Computer!!!

It seems as though your 780 is stuck in high gear (3D performance mode) with the triple display setup. Quite simply, the 3 clock speeds (GPU, Memory and shader) are boosted to maximum levels when this top gear is engaged....hence the high heat. If you download speccy from the download section here and start it up, and click on the graphics subset, you will see the different performance levels, as well as your current performance level.  Most of the performance manipulators like EVGA Precision X and the like will allow the GPU and Memory clock speeds to be adjusted manually, but not the Shader clock.

you can try to set the Nvidia control panel to single display performance mode. That setting would be in the "Manage 3d settings" menu.

I do remember the prior Nvidia generations before  your Kepler 780, the  dual monitor configuration would need the EXACT same monitor (resolution and display timings) or the card would stay engaged in the highest performance level and stubbornly  remain in an elevated temperature state, despite using Precison X to manually tune the clock speeds of the GPu and memory.

Edited by synergy513, 17 November 2015 - 12:47 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 SaTex

SaTex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 01:02 AM

Thank you for the reply! If its an issue with the card itself I'm just glad to know that it's the problem. I tried changing the display performance mode to "Single display" and "Compatibility" but had no luck with the temperatures.  I may see if I can borrow a friends monitor that has the same resolution as my other 2 screens (1920x1080) and see if the problem persists. Thank you for the help! 

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 05:37 PM

sure thing.  i would say that the AMD/ATI cards are better with multiple displays but my Nvidia experience goes as far as the Fermis and Teslas which provides some angst compared to the AMD cards when it comes to the multiple display configurations, i would like to think that the Keplers and Maxwells got it right finally, 

Edited by synergy513, 18 November 2015 - 05:38 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users