Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezing on Startup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 guitardemon

guitardemon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:50 PM

I recently attempted to use an old Alienware computer that I have.  I haven't used the computer in about a year and now upon starting it up it freezes on nForce 680i  SLI screen.  I'm not sure where to even begin diagnosing this problem.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,065 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:55 AM

Hello, and Welcome to Bleeping Computer!!!!

I have a similar mobo (Asus P5n-D) and what you may be experiencing is the RAM initializiation that is slow and would seem the motherboard splash screen display is perpetual due to the rapid boot function being disabled. If you press the tab key while the mobo splash screen is up, you will get the boot screen that indiicates that process along wih a few options to bypass that RAM verification.

the rapid boot setting  is in the BIOS (delete key repeatedly upon power-up), if you wish to enable it. I leave mine disabled because when it is enabled, you can't get into the boot options-------->safe mode

Edited by synergy513, 17 November 2015 - 12:45 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 guitardemon

guitardemon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:15 PM

Unfortunately I can't get any menus to pop up. Nothing happened if hit tab, delete or f8. Thanks for your suggestion though.

I also noticed three lights on my motherboard. A blue light ( always blue even if the computer is turned off), and when it's turned on a green and a orange light, any idea if this is normal? Any other ideas as to what the problem is or how to fix it?

Edited by guitardemon, 17 November 2015 - 02:32 PM.

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,065 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 17 November 2015 - 04:35 PM

are you using a ps/2 keyboard or a USB? 

do you have the motherboard speaker installed  to reveal any beep codes?

a quick google search did reveal that those are LED post codes  maybe like the beep codes, , still searching.....

i found the motherboard support area..

http://www.nvidia.com/object/designed_by_nvidia_680i_sli_support.html

ok, a little further here...what video card is installed?

it looks like it may be a fault with the power supply going to the card upon power-up...can you try a weaker card?...i keep an old 9500gt handy just for such cases as this. the thing is, when you first power-up, the mobo is sending max TDP to the card, as an initialization step. another thing is, if the card is using the 6 or 8 pin power plugs there is that little remainder of TDP that comes from the slot....sometimes a card  offers a bad combination.I.e. the card is 140 watt TDP like a gtx 660, that has one six pin provision, that is 75 watts from the plug, where oh where does the remainder 65 watts come from to make POST? that might just be a few watts over what the mobo slot can do sometimes and you get a snagged POST.. Some high-end mobos offer the 8 pin power provision that is a sweet deal for such cases as that. but most of them are  4 pins like ours. my x58 motherboard has the 8 pin provision though.

if your mobo is extremely sensitive like my P5N-D is, then there is also a case for playing musical ram slots.

Edited by synergy513, 17 November 2015 - 05:32 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users