Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupted user account - Best fix?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 soubuckeye

soubuckeye

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:20 PM

I upgraded to 10 from Windows 7, 64bit.  After a week or two of good running, I started experiencing a slew of issues.  Here is the lowdown:

- Start menu does not work.  Must right-click to access anything

- Edge and Store icons have disappeared, nor do they work at all.

- Notification icons (Notifications, Volume Control, etc) do not work.  I have to right-click on them to get any functionality.

- Half of the functionality of Control Panel is screwed up, so even making a new User Account took a lot of acrobatics and ditch water

I tried all the usual reinstall functions to try getting them to work, and none helped.  Eventually, I tried creating a new user account on a lark to see if that would help.  Everything worked!  However, all my settings, cookies, saved passwords, etc were back on the old account (for example, login information for websites I log into frequently suddenly were asking me for usernames and passwords I had long forgotten, MS Office thought it was a new install day one again).  I attempted a mass copy-paste of the contents of the "AppData" folder & subfolders (Local, Local Low, etc).  That worked, but then caused the same problems in the new account I made.  So... The answer?  Something is corrupted in the user account, more specifically in the AppData tree.

In the old days of having a corrupted user account, we'd just delete the NTUser.DAT file and call it good.  But, I don't believe that Win10 has that luxury.   SO, in order for me to have my cake (uncorrupt the user account) and eat it too (keep my settings, cookies, saves, etc), I'm needing a little guidance on what does and does not need to be transferred.

Has anyone else experienced this frustration?  If so, am I overlooking something?  Anyone know which folders I need to NOT copy over to the replacement account?  I attempted to be aware of that before, and didn't have it overwrite folders that already existed, but apparently I boo-booed somewhere.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ChiefTech

ChiefTech

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:47 PM

I upgraded to 10 from Windows 7, 64bit.  After a week or two of good running, I started experiencing a slew of issues.  Here is the lowdown:

- Notification icons (Notifications, Volume Control, etc) do not work.  I have to right-click on them to get any functionality.

- Half of the functionality of Control Panel is screwed up, so even making a new User Account took a lot of acrobatics and ditch water

I tried all the usual reinstall functions to try getting them to work, and none helped.  Eventually, I tried creating a new user account on a lark to see if that would help.  Everything worked!  However, all my settings, cookies, saved passwords, etc were back on the old account (for example, login information for websites I log into frequently suddenly were asking me for usernames and passwords I had long forgotten, MS Office thought it was a new install day one again).  I attempted a mass copy-paste of the contents of the "AppData" folder & subfolders (Local, Local Low, etc).  That worked, but then caused the same problems in the new account I made.  So... The answer?  Something is corrupted in the user account, more specifically in the AppData tree.

In the old days of having a corrupted user account, we'd just delete the NTUser.DAT file and call it good.  But, I don't believe that Win10 has that luxury.   SO, in order for me to have my cake (uncorrupt the user account) and eat it too (keep my settings, cookies, saves, etc), I'm needing a little guidance on what does and does not need to be transferred.

Has anyone else experienced this frustration?  If so, am I overlooking something?  Anyone know which folders I need to NOT copy over to the replacement account?  I attempted to be aware of that before, and didn't have it overwrite folders that already existed, but apparently I boo-booed somewhere.

Thanks in advance!

This is actually very common and can be caused by slew of different problems. You can try a couple things to see if it fixes the issue. It's not just the "user account" becoming "corrupt" there are other things that can cause the problem to return on multiple accounts.

1. Uninstall your antivirus software and then reinstall it.

• Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc. This will bring up Task Manager.
  • From within Task Manager click on File > Run new task
  • Type appwiz.cpl into the Open textfield and then click on OK.
  • Uninstall the program.
  • Download the latest windows 10 compatible version from your antivirus website and reinstall.

2. Run a system file check.

• Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc. This will bring up Task Manager.
  • From within Task Manager click on File > Run new task
  • Click the box labeled "Create this task with administrative privileges". 
  • Type cmd.exe into the Open textfield and then click OK.
  • In the Command Prompt window that opened up type: sfc /scannow
  • Let the command finish. This might take some time so let it run.

3. Boot into safe mode and then reboot and start the computer normally.

As far as folders that need to move over to your new account that depends on your preference. Generally it's the folders and files located in C:\Users\YOURACCOUNT. With the exception of AppData and other junk.

Edited by ChiefTech, 16 November 2015 - 05:52 PM.

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:48 PM

have you looked at resetting windows 10 ?

Start>>>Settings>>>>updates and security>>>>recovery>>>>>Reset This PC (keep files or remove them option)

More Info HERE

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 soubuckeye

soubuckeye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:15 PM

Thanks in advance!

This is actually very common and can be caused by slew of different problems. You can try a couple things to see if it fixes the issue. It's not just the "user account" becoming "corrupt" there are other things that can cause the problem to return on multiple accounts.

• Uninstall the program.
  • Download the latest windows 10 compatible version from your antivirus website and reinstall.

As far as folders that need to move over to your new account that depends on your preference. Generally it's the folders and files located in C:\Users\YOURACCOUNT. With the exception of AppData and other junk.

Tried 1 (even tried multiple steps after uninstalling 1), 2 (multiple times - and as always they didn't find any integrity violations), and 3 (that was a new one, but no luck).

I've mass-moved the User folder to get the documents and such, but what I'm trying to transfer over are program settings (i.e. settings for Chrome including saved passwords and website data for the places I visit) and other things that do end up stored wthin the AppData folder tree.

As for resetting the PC, while I can keep files, I do have reservations about this option, as deleting programs happens even if I choose "keep files," correct?  Would this mean I have to go back and reinstall every program I have?  I hope I can find my install discs for half the stuff I use!

Edited by soubuckeye, 16 November 2015 - 07:16 PM.

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:32 PM

Yes, that is correct (reset)......it removes apps and settings....keeps personal files or removes them, your choice.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 ChiefTech

ChiefTech

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:49 PM

Thanks in advance!

• Uninstall the program.

Tried 1 (even tried multiple steps after uninstalling 1), 2 (multiple times - and as always they didn't find any integrity violations), and 3 (that was a new one, but no luck).

I've mass-moved the User folder to get the documents and such, but what I'm trying to transfer over are program settings (i.e. settings for Chrome including saved passwords and website data for the places I visit) and other things that do end up stored wthin the AppData folder tree.

As for resetting the PC, while I can keep files, I do have reservations about this option, as deleting programs happens even if I choose "keep files," correct?  Would this mean I have to go back and reinstall every program I have?  I hope I can find my install discs for half the stuff I use!

As far as moving over AppData and user info like passwords and such, sometimes it's best to start fresh with those settings.

You can try running windows repair all in one from within safemode on the user account in which you're having the problem. I've had success with it fixing this same issue(also have had sucess with just sfc /scannow).

You can download from here: 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:16 AM

Otherwise this tends to look similar to many other problems that we've seen with W10 being installed on well-used systems.

There's a couple of things to try:
1)  Run the following command in a Powershell window that's run as an Administrator in order to re-register the Windows Store apps:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
From this article:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/re-register-windows-store-apps
Be sure that Edge is closed (in Task Manager).  Cortana will spit an error as it's still running - don't worry about that for now.

2)  Uninstall your antivirus, then use the removal tool for it (there's a list of most of them here:  http://www.carrona.org/avuninst.html ), then install a freshly downloaded, W10 compatible version.  Some A/V have difficulties with the upgrade, so removing them and then reinstalling them will help how they run.

3)  Download fresh copies of the latest, W10 compatible audio and video drivers for your system.  Then uninstall the current versions from your system.  Then install the freshly downloaded versions.

4)  Get ALL available Windows Updates

5)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs from the manufacturer's website.  If some aren't compatible w/W10, check here about uninstalling them.

6)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs for any add-on hardware and any software that you installed previously.  If they aren't compatible, please uninstall them.

If this doesn't fix things, then post back so we can discuss the following options:
- continuing to attempt to fix this copy of the OS
- Reset of the OS (considering both the "Keep My Files" and the "Remove Everything" options)
- revert to the previous OS (both at less than 30 days, and at more than 30 days since initial update)
- revert to the previous OS with another attempt at installing W10 (I don't recommend this)
- clean install of the previous OS
- clean install of the previous OS, then update to W10 (only needed if a clean install of W10 fails)
- W10 clean install
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 soubuckeye

soubuckeye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 05:47 PM

Thanks for the suggestion of using Repair All In One.  I ran it last night before bed and let it finish up this morning (It ended up running for about 2 hours).  Unfortunately, no love.

I should have mentioned that the usual Windows fixes usama suggested were among the first fixes I tried, with no success.

I think, at this point, I am going to just set up a new account, transfer the documents over, and then import folders from the AppData hierarchy as needed, and just rebuild from there, keeping the old account to cannibalize from or apply a fix if I stumble across it.

I appreciate the help thus far - it has given me some important food for thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users