Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Water got in laptop, not turning on.Also turns off charger that is plugged in it

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 utilityaddress0

utilityaddress0

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 04:59 PM

Some water got into my Dell Lattitude E6430 laptop, while I fell asleep and left it on. I woke up and saw that it was off, it didn't come on when i pressed the power button. I then noticed the charger had no light even when it was not plugged into the laptop. The light came on after a while in the laptop charger but as soon as I plugged it in the charger light turn off immediately. None of the indicator lights in the laptop came on during all this. I left it in an AC room for 3 days to dry out without the bottom case on and without the memory, cd-drive and hard drive. After re-assembly, I then tried the charger again and also a different charger but it was the same result. Can anyone advise me on what to do to get it working?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:47 PM

Take it to a local repair shop. There is nothing you can do unless you're capable of repairing it. You have to tear it all apart down to the motherboard level as obviously water is shorting things out. It's 50/50 chance that it will never work again. It probably needs a new keyboard as well.

#3 utilityaddress0

utilityaddress0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:15 PM

Thanks for your response, I will strip it down to the motherboard like you said and leave it to dry for a few days in a warm environment. If that doesn't work I'll visit a technician. What would most likely need to be replaced if any?

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,883 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:18 PM

The first step a bench tech will do is clean all parts after disassembly.  A bio-de-gradeable degreaser like simply green and a soft bristle brush.  The thing with water is  that it collect dirt and dust as it moves and when it dries, leaves the dirt behind, often under chips.  After a degrease, a non-residue electronic cleaner and a dry in the sun or under a lamp.  Reassembly often has successful results if cleaned properly.  This process takes a good six hours.

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:47 PM

Thanks for your response, I will strip it down to the motherboard like you said and leave it to dry for a few days in a warm environment. If that doesn't work I'll visit a technician. What would most likely need to be replaced if any?

Hard to say. It obviously is shorted out by water or has blown components. The keyboard likely needs to be replaced or taken apart as well if it can be taken apart. There are layers of plastic and rubber in there that water doesn't dry out well between them. Over time Voltage/Water across those silver contacts will create a galvanic electrolysis (short) and corrosion of the contacts will happen very quckly and destroy the circuitry. The keys may not function as the contacts in those layers actually turn black as they corrode and the contacts between them fails.

Edit: Power cord adapter may have blown circuitry or fuse. it also needs to be tested.

Edited by technonymous, 17 November 2015 - 05:17 PM.

#6 utilityaddress0

utilityaddress0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 04:44 PM

Thank you all for such informative and useful information. I've just gained new knowledge. It's reassuring to know more about the possible situations and you all are extremely helpful.

I'll keep you up to date with the status and thanks for assisting.

I'll also keep listening for other comments and suggestions for anything else about the situation

#7 Peter Cabrera

Peter Cabrera

• Banned Spammer
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 11:02 AM

Put your laptop under SUN might it helped.

#8 utilityaddress0

utilityaddress0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:57 PM

If that's safe I feel like definitely trying it. Probably would dry it out fast and completely.

But I'm concerned if it's safe to expose the board and its component to the heat like that. Is it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users