Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 freezes randomly

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Albini's cat

Albini's cat

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 04:50 PM

I've run out of options - I can't find out what is causing this or how to fix it. Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thank you.

As background, I built my computer back in 2013 with new MoBo, CPU and RAM, updated Windows 8.1 and it started to randomly freeze or shut down.
Only the GPU, HDD, Soundblaster Audigy, Wifi card & case remain from the old set-up.  I bought a brand new 750W PSU to see if it was the old PSU, but issue continues intermittently.   I've had Win10 running on both SSD and HDD - the problem exists on both.  The unprovoked shut downs trashed the SSD but I was able to RMA it.

I've taken it to a repair centre who did a full rebuild on it. Now I've updated it to Windows 10 but the problems occur again. Windows 10 has been completely reinstalled again.

I've done a multi-pass MEMTEST on the RAM - that came back without errors.  I've checked the HDD & sfc /scannow and no errors detected.

I've successfully updated the Gigabyte BIOS from F14 to F22.
When I tried to update the Motherboard drivers to a newer version, the computer kept restarting and barely got to the BIOS... so I reset the CMOS to get back in (still BIOS F22).

There doesn't seem to be any consistency to when Windows freezes. There have been no BSOD whatsoever. It froze earlier tonight when doing a Windows update. Often I leave it on overnight/for days playing all my iTunes Library on loop to see if this crashes it.

Here's the current hardware:

Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H rev 1.0 - BIOS updated to F22
Intel i5-3570K
Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x4GB (DDR3, 1600Mhz) RAM
Corsair CXM 750W PSU

Samsung 750GB HDD
ATI Radeon HD 4870 GPU

Windows 10 64-bit Pro

Sound is using the motherboards VIA HD Audio driver. The SB Audigy has been disabled to see if this makes a difference (it hasn't).

How likely is it the an older CMOS battery is causing it to freeze? Probably not.
What about a conflict with the drivers - for instance the two sound chips?

Something to add - may be connected - music playing stutters when copying a lot of files etc.  Why's that?

Thanks for any assistance!

Edited by Albini's cat, 16 November 2015 - 05:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:09 AM

Did the repair at the repair center fix the problems?

I've seen a lot of BSOD problems with these boards.

Also, here's a story about another manufacturer's rev 1.0 board:

- I purchased it for a new build of W7, using RAID 5 with a hardware RAID card.

- the system had problems from the start and I attempted to fix it for 1½ years.

- there were no acknowledged problems at the motherboard manufacturer's website.

- finally I gave up and tried rev 2.0 of the same board - I didn't have a single problem with the system after that.

Very significant to me is that it crashes when trying to update the motherboard drivers.

Which driver in particular does it crash on?

I'd guess that copying a lot of files while playing music may tax the system enough that the music can't reliably stream fast enough to keep up with the playback (as the file copying is taking up to many resources).

Monitor the Performance tab of Task Manager to see what's being consumed the most - CPU, Memory, Hard drive, network, etc

Once you know that, then you can review the Resource monitor to see what's taking up the most resources in that sub-system.

Just for starters, let's have a look at this report:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Albini's cat

Albini's cat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:22 AM

Thank you for your reply usasma.

The repair centre did a rebuild on it & said the BIOS may’ve been corrupt, so reset it.  They said they’d kept it on overnight but the PC hadn’t restarted.  It appears to be an intermittent issue which is becoming hard to pin-point.

There haven’t been any BSOD that I’ve seen.  The BSOD logging is on.

Question, how do you update the rev on the board from 1.0 to 2.0?  I’m guessing that’s different to the BIOS version?  I thought the rev version was the hardware revision number on the actual board and couldn’t be updated (eg software).

Yes, I also find it very significant that attempts to update the MoBo drivers crash the system.  The driver I was trying to update was the ‘Intel Management Engine Interface’ (11.0.0.1158) – downloaded directly from the Gigabyte site.

I find it hard to believe that copying files while playing music would place an extreme amount of load on a fairly well specc’d i5 64-bit CPU.  I would think these are basic OS tasks, before you start playing 3D games or Video editing.  The CPU should be able to cope with it.

I don’t think any of the temperatures are getting especially high.  I’ve been keeping an eye on this.

I have looked in the Event Viewer but I’ll check to see which Stop error it is.  I have seen red exclamation icons in ‘System’ events along the lines of “Unexpected Shutdown possibly due to power loss” coinciding with the shutdowns.  An event doesn’t tend to appear when the PC freezes (eg doesn’t restart/shutdown).  I’ll check again to see if any of them are ID 41.

I’ll look to upload the events file.  Thank you again.

Edited by Albini's cat, 17 November 2015 - 09:23 AM.

#4 Albini's cat

Albini's cat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:44 PM

Ok, here's the Event log;  do I need to anonymize any of the data to remove personal/PC data?

41 KERNEL-POWER errors on 17/11 @ 13:03 and 13:29
"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

Temperatures (ºC):

CPU cores averaging 30 - 39 (ºC)
GPU @ 52ºC
HDD @ 28ºC

Thanks.

Edited by Albini's cat, 17 November 2015 - 12:55 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:00 PM

Sorry that I wasn't clear - changing the revision of the board involved purchasing another board.

It was expensive and involved a lot of work putting it in and setting it up - but since it worked in the end, it was worth it to me.

I don't suspect the temps, but it's good to check them just in case there's a problem.

The Admin event log doesn't appear to be uploaded.

Did you read the article about the Event ID 41's?  It can happen due to a lot of things.  Overheating can cause it, as can holding the power button to shut down the computer.

I look for the entries prior to the Event 41 to see if there are any patterns.  The absence of patterns is usually indicative of a hardware/compatibility/low-level driver problem.

I'm not aware of any personal information being in the logs - although things like the computer name may be there.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Albini's cat

Albini's cat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 04:12 AM

Sorry that I wasn't clear - changing the revision of the board involved purchasing another board.

It was expensive and involved a lot of work putting it in and setting it up - but since it worked in the end, it was worth it to me.

That's ok.  I didn't think you could update the REV number.

I don't suspect the temps, but it's good to check them just in case there's a problem.

Yeah, initially I did think the CPU wasn't seated properly or the thermal paste had worn off... or the older GPU was getting hot.

The Admin event log doesn't appear to be uploaded.

Did you read the article about the Event ID 41's? It can happen due to a lot of things. Overheating can cause it, as can holding the power button to shut down the computer.

I look for the entries prior to the Event 41 to see if there are any patterns. The absence of patterns is usually indicative of a hardware/compatibility/low-level driver problem.

I'll try to upload the file again.  Curses.
I couldn't see anything prior to the 41 errors.  Nothing in the logs indicates what's causing these shut-downs/freezes.

What are the standard Warranty periods on Motherboards?  I'm guessing a year.  I know there's a 3 year RMA on Crucial SSDs.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 06:26 AM

The patterns aren't always easy to spot. 

Try uploading it to a free file-hosting service (such as OneDrive or DropBox).

Warranty on most hardware is 1 year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users