Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting Laptop to a Projector

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TechnicalDifficulty

TechnicalDifficulty

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 04:37 PM

I have an HP 15 f125wm  laptop that doesn't have a VGA port. It has an HDMI port so I just bought an HDMI to VGA cable. But when I connect the cable nothing happens. The monitor doesn't pick up any signal at all. All I could find from HP was a manual on how to connect the cable to the ports but that doesn't help. Has anyone else had this problem or know how to troubleshoot it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:15 PM

Do you have a part number or a catalogue reference for this cable ?  My information is that you need an adapter to change the digital HDMI signal to the analogue VGA one, something like either of these. Note the vast difference in prices !  These are from UK stores but you should be able to find somethng similar wherever you are.

http://www.lightinthebox.com/1080p-hdmi-male-to-vga-female-video-converter-adapter-cable-for-pc-dvd-hdtv-black_p1764371.html?currency=GBP&litb_from=paid_adwords_shopping&sku=441_7392&litb_from=&adword_mt=&adword_ct=87410557514&adword_kw=&adword_pos=1o3&adword_pl=&adword_net=g&adword_tar=&adw_src_id=1810908567_318786434_22545930314_kwd-151714220954&gclid=CKvfiZGWlskCFSEGwwodsBcAOA

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-microministandard-hdmi-male-to-female-vga-adapter-n58nx

Chris Cosgrove

#3 TechnicalDifficulty

TechnicalDifficulty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:59 PM

This is the cable I got. - http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-MALE-TO-VGA-MALE-VIDEO-CONVERTER-ADAPTER-CABLE-FOR-TV-DVD-HDTV-1080P-/121705045387?hash=item1c562f9d8b:g:8b4AAOSw14xWPhiv

Now that I read the description closer, I think I just rushed and got a useless part. It says "Will not work for PC to TV conversion or laptop to monitor.". I guess that includes projectors too. Well, that sucks. :unsure:

Edited by TechnicalDifficulty, 16 November 2015 - 10:01 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:36 PM

Put it in the spares cupboard, it may come in useful some day !

It is possible to get HD video images (1080p) but you do need an active converter like one of the types I listed above because you have to convert a digital signal to an analogue one. I looked at this in the other direction back in the Summer - VGA to HDMI - but it was going to cost an arm and a leg and I was advised that the results would not be that great, so we put the arm and the leg towards buying my wife a new laptop. Which does have an HDMI output.

If you can find a suitable adapter, which doesn't appear all that difficult, the results going from HDMI to VGA should be better, but take advice if you can.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users