Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Computer As A Server

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Nooodle

Nooodle

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 22 July 2006 - 06:53 PM

I have a old Windows 1.1 (I think) and a multitude of misc computer parts from another windows 98 comp that had everything except a hard drive in it, so basicly I got the parts and the patience to do this but not the "Know How". I would like to make this useless computer and many parts into a server to maybe host a website, a game, or anything else that might come to mind. So if anybody has any idea where I should start and perhaps some useful; information to help along the way I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Posted Image

My name is Nooodle and I approve this message.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nat Sci

Nat Sci

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 22 July 2006 - 07:14 PM

If the RAM and Connection speed is high you could setup a gaming server. If not, I would start with a website. Learning C++ could help you make your game server pupular by editing rules and creating maps.
Legend has it that... If you put an AOL disc the opposite way and play it you can hear devilish music... Even worse if you put it the right way... IT INSTALLS AOL!
Click here 3 times for $100,000<--- I mean .00001 dollars.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 07:15 PM

Webservers are low powered creatures. You can serve a web page with an old 486 if you would like. You said you are running Windows 1.1?? That maybe your break point.
If you don't mind post the complete list of your componant for that computer. Proccessor, RAM(Amount), hard drive, ethernet speed. Also what are you connected with to the internet (Cable, DSL, Dialup,..).
You may want to consider a linux OS.

http://www.dslwebserver.com
http://www.portforward.com
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:00 PM

this is some info I got from the old comp if you need more please tell me

computer model # PB 63OT CD
manufacturers # 842049105
serial # LO53010797+
Hard drive format # 555545.SCR

Microprosser 486-DX2
speed 50MHz
Coprocesser installed
System bios Phoenix 1.01
Base Memory 640Kb
Extended Memory 3,328 Kb
Cache 8Kb
Bios check sum EO5E1DH

Hard Drive

Model ST3491A
Cyl 899
Hd 15
Sec 62
Pre 0
LZ 0
size 428.1 Mb

Modem type PB24DBF
Fax S/R
Parallel Ports LPT1
Posted Image

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:08 PM

WOW!! You wern't kidding when you said old. You will need at least 32 mb of RAM (and preferred 64Mb) for any solution I would have.
64 mb of RAM and runa text based version of linux, or DOS 6.22.

#6 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:54 PM

I also just purchased a static IP address and what I think is around a T1 connection speed (I had a 256 Mbps and upgraded to 512 Mps) to help with this. I have the above "Old" computer and also 2 other ones, a winXP (that I am on right now) and a winME, both of these are connected through one external dsl modem. I have another computer that had win98 on it but the hard drive got fried and now all it is is a case with a lot of parts in it like a good motherboard, processer, 512 Ram, network card, sound card, TV tuner card, video card, lots of goodies. Could I perhaps put some of that Ram from the broken comp into the "old" one OR the hard drive out of the "old" one into the broken one?

Edited by Nooodle, 22 July 2006 - 10:57 PM.

Posted Image

#7 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:20 AM

I don't think you could put the RAM in the old one because of the age and I don't think you could put the hardrive from the old one to the Win98 Machine for either of these two reasones. 1)The connection... 2) The hardrives capacity... There isn't even enough space to install windows...

Hardrives are pretty cheap... you could maybe find a small 40gig or something at a second hand shop or something like that for around 30-40$... Then you would have a fairly good pc again.

Edited by Klinkaroo, 23 July 2006 - 12:20 AM.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:32 AM

Klinkaroo is right. For $35 you can have a very nice home web server. I do not think a T-1 would be your best option, because of price. A DSL or cable SOHO line would be your best bet. About $90\mo. and that should include a static IP. I have not looked lately but a T-1 will run about $300 to $600\mo depending on the ISP an location. With the SOHO you should get about 512Mb to 768Mb and if it is paying for it's self you can always upgrade. If it is just for fun you could support several hunred hits a day (Not at once) with 512Mb bandwidth.
IMHO

#9 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:50 AM

?SOHO? not sure what that is but I got the fastest DSL BellSouth had to offer and it came with a free static IP address so I should be pretty good to go
Posted Image

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 05:56 AM

SOHO= At home or small buniess. The TOS (Terms Of Servce) fro residential DSL prohibit running a web, mail or ftp server.

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:59 AM

My first server was NT 4 running IIs. Used to host a website with No IP. It was running a P-I 200 with 64MB of RAM and a 2Gb HD. FYI

#12 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:51 PM

ok...Could I use my windows XP machine as a server? In the house it is the best comp, it has 40 gig hard drive almost a gig of ram, good video card, dual moniters. Also could I just somehow MAKE the "old" PC into a router?
Posted Image

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 04:17 PM

The XP machine would make a great server. For what you want to do, it is overkill. What you want to do, self host web pages, will take little resources. I personally would find an old P-II (300 to 400) with 128Mb of RAM, but what your suggest will do. If you have XP Home you will have to download IIs, Apache, or another web server.
As far a making a router again that is a great idea. Here is a router that you can configure from a single floppy.

#14 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:47 PM

So I download this Apache software and it will guide me as to how to set this up right?
Posted Image

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 11:57 PM

No. Not by along shot. You will have to do a little reseach, but it should not be hard to learn. I used IIs in either NT4 or W2k.

http://webdevelopment.developersnetwork.co....asp?Article=34

Edited by acklan, 23 July 2006 - 11:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users