Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frying myself a meat patty on an Intel Q8300 Processor

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vect

Vect

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:25 PM

I recently bought a second-hand motherboard to replace an old defective one, but I cannot seem to get it to work. First off, the whole system overheats drastically over a very short period of time(1 min) but the system does not call for a shutdown. I can see some temp readings in the BIOS, where initially it can say something like -72 °C, but if I leave if for a while it will say 120 °C, while the system is configured to shut down at 75 °C. I don't know if that's overblown or what, but the CPU heatsink does get very hot, and as a matter of fact, the whole motherboard as a whole along with its heatsink in the middle as well. Another problem is the CPU Fan does not flinch a muscle above 880 rpm; it just doesn't give a bleep.

A normal startup detects all hardware(hard disk, the intel processor, the DVD-RW), but instead of booting from the DVD-RW it prompts to a System Monitor, where there's voltage and temp readings.

The Biostar MB is very limited in its F1-12 functions. In fact, it has none. I go with Tab to bring up a Hardware Monitor, or Del for the BIOS. That's it.

Attached is a snapshot of the system, with RAM, Graphics card, CPU heatsink put aside. The 4-pin connector was removed because it got in the way. 

Rel:

http://ark.intel.com/products/39107/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q8300-4M-Cache-2_50-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=513

Attached Files

Edited by Vect, 17 November 2015 - 08:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:27 PM

If I am interpreting this photo correctly, the square object nearly centre is the top surface of the CPU, the finned circular object is the the underside of the CPU heatsink, and the brown layer is heat sink compound. The heat sink compound looks as though it was applied with a shovel !

You will need to clean both these surfaces carefully and thoroughly down to bare metal. a plastic scraper and iso-propyl alchohol or methanol will do the job, followed up by a soft cloth. Try not to leave any scrapings from the CPU on the mobo. Then apply a thin smear of fresh heat sink compound to one of the surfaces and clamp them back together and see what happens to yoour temperatures.

You can get heat sink compound from almost any electronic supplier. A brand called 'Artic Silver' is highly thought of by many but the brand is less important than that you have some and that it is applied thinly and evenly.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:22 PM

Just a quick look and it seems that the MOBO may be missing some of the hold down screws for the heatsink.  That brown stuff is cooked compound.  That heatsink should have four hold down points on the board and be VERY snug on top of the processor chip or no heat transfer will happen and the compound is fried.  Looking at the photo again, it does look like a meat patty, or a very fried egg.

Edited by mjd420nova, 16 November 2015 - 09:27 PM.

#4 Vect

Vect
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:24 AM

That brown stuff is cooked compound.

That brown stuff is AG Gold thermal grease. It's was freshly applied, and I used a business card to even it out and remount the heat sink after my initial post.

The Sys Temp sensor seems to start at 29°C and goes up to 33°during my tests.

The CPU Temp sensor has two modes, however. It either shows a freezing -79°C in BIOS, or bullbleep hot 120°C. It does NOT go under 120°C. I actually just pressed the power button and rushed to the BIOS, and it just showed 120°C. It certainly doesn't feel that hot. So it's lying to me.

I managed to boot a Windows 7 Setup, but it crashes at 0% or 1% with a BSOD, or even before that, with a few different errors. I feel another piece of hardware may be at fault, and these are the errors I got:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGE_AREA (STOP 0x0000008E)

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (STOP 0X0000000a)

PS: I have 2 RAM Modules. I cannot isolate the problem. That is, it shows up on either slot, on either module.

If I am interpreting this photo correctly, the square object nearly centre is the top surface of the CPU, the finned circular object is the the underside of the CPU heatsink, and the brown layer is heat sink compound. The heat sink compound looks as though it was applied with a shovel !

A baby shovel actually.

Edited by Vect, 17 November 2015 - 08:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users