Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer not shutdown completely

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Akane

Akane

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:18 PM

After I upgrade my windows 8.1 to windows 10  2 months ago 

I found out that my computer not shutdown completely, Every time I press shutdown the computer shutdown but the cooling fan is still 

running and not stop, I need to force shutdown every time by pressing the power button around 10 sec.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,949 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:32 PM

G'day Akane, and Welcome to BC !!

This appears to be a relatively common problem....with no definitive fix.

Consider Resetting your PC

Start>>>settings>>>.update and security>>>>recovery>>>>>Reset This PC (choose to keep your files or remove them )

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:18 PM

Akane,

Are you saying that if you use the Power menu from the Start button, and choose "Shutdown" when you click it, your computer will not ever completely shut down?

I just want to make sure that you are not talking about doing a "quick press" of the hard power button to do a shut down, because that may not actually cause a shutdown (though no matter what it does otherwise - sleep or hibernate - the fan should go off).

Also, take a look at a thread that started here yesterday entitled, The mysterious issues with sleep and shutting down...   In that thread I gave some things that should be checked, including screen captures, that may prove useful to you.  Take a look at the areas noted and if Fast Boot is enabled definitely disable it and see if that helps solve anything.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 Akane

Akane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:39 PM

@Condobloke

I do that the 5th times but I still have the same problem. :(

@britechguy

Yes, I have that problem :(

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:50 AM

Make sure that you've saved all of your work before doing this.
It will force your system to shut down completely.

Open an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt

(Win and X opens the power menu in the lower left corner - then A opens the Admin Command Prompt)

Type in:

shutdown /s /f

Then press Enter

When the computer shuts down - does the fan stop now?

If that's the case, then open up powercfg.cpl using the Run dialog

Then click on "Choose what the power button does" in the left sidebar

The "Press the power button" selections should all say "Shut Down" - if not, change them to that.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:53 AM

BTW - pressing the power button isn't the way to shut the system down normally.

In the past, shutting down this way could cause problems with Windows

I haven't seen anything about this recently, so I don't do it "just in case"

This is how it's supposed to be done:
Click on the Start Button

Click on the Power entry

Click on Shutdown

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Akane

Akane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:31 AM

@usasma  Thank you XD

when I type this in the command prompt    [shutdown /s /f]

it shout down completely 

Edited by Akane, 17 November 2015 - 08:31 AM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:58 AM

What happens when you try this: 

If that's the case, then open up powercfg.cpl using the Run dialog

Then click on "Choose what the power button does" in the left sidebar

The "Press the power button" selections should all say "Shut Down" - if not, change them to that.

#9 Akane

Akane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:25 AM

Here is in my powercfg.cpl

When press the power button  all the batteries and plugin is set to Shutdown

When press the sleep button  all go to sleep mode

when shutdown the cover all go to sleep mode   

VVjfJWH.png

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:03 PM

If the system still doesn't shutdown when you press the power button, then there's likely an issue with the shutdown process.

Most probably (IME) that happens when a crash occurs during the shutdown (usually due to forcefully closing a program).

Try to shut the computer down by holding the button one more time.

If it doesn't shut down completely, then turn it back on and generate this report (that'll ensure that the error is towards the top of the log file):

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users