Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't get msconfig and regedit from Start search

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smswain

smswain

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:54 PM

Hi,  I just did a clean install of Win 7 64bit and can't get to msconfig or regedit through the Start search menu.  When I put type either in, it pulls up other things not even associated with msconfig or regedit.  What can I do?  Is it a virus?

I love you guys!

Sue

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:55 PM

Try another way of getting there first. If you have the 'Run'Command in your 'Start menu' clcik on 'Run' then type in either 'msconfig.exe' or 'regedit.exe' - without the '  ' - then click 'OK' and see if they run.

If you don't have the 'Run' command in your 'Start menu', then RIGHT click on an empty space in your task bar and select 'Properties' from the pop-up menu. Then click 'Start menu - Customise' in the dialogue box that appears. Scroll down the list of controls that appears until you come to 'Run command' and tick the box beside it, clcik 'OK', click 'Apply' and then 'OK' and you should have the 'Run' command in your 'Start menu'

Chris Cosgrove

#3 ChiefTech

ChiefTech

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:52 PM

Try another way of getting there first. If you have the 'Run'Command in your 'Start menu' clcik on 'Run' then type in either 'msconfig.exe' or 'regedit.exe' - without the '  ' - then click 'OK' and see if they run.

If you don't have the 'Run' command in your 'Start menu', then RIGHT click on an empty space in your task bar and select 'Properties' from the pop-up menu. Then click 'Start menu - Customise' in the dialogue box that appears. Scroll down the list of controls that appears until you come to 'Run command' and tick the box beside it, clcik 'OK', click 'Apply' and then 'OK' and you should have the 'Run' command in your 'Start menu'

Chris Cosgrove

I second that. 

OP, see if you can locate msconfig.exe or regedit.exe in the \windows\system32 folder and try to run them from there. If they are there and can be ran then you know it's most likely just a search indexing issue.

#4 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 12:41 PM

Also, not to get insulting or anything, but are you sure you're spelling it right?  

It's happened to me plenty of times where I'll type something in the search box and it doesn't come up like it normally would - so my 1st instinct is to get mad and be all like WTF?  RAWWWWWWWWWWR!!!!   :smash:

But then I take a closer look and discover I typed it wrong - correct the mistake, and it comes right up.   :dance:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users