Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to access Task Manager - Error: Access is denied

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 blue gravity

blue gravity

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:26 PM

Hello I am unable to access my task manager on Windows 7 as administrator. Whenever I try to access it a Command window flashes on the screen quickly and that's it. Same thing happens when taskmgr.exe is clicked. 

I was able to capture the command window error as the following:

C;\Users\<name>\Documents>REG and HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System  /v  DisableTaskMgr  /t  REG_DWORD  /d  /0  /f

ERROR: Access is denied.

Any help with this would be appreciated. I have checked that TaskMgr is enabled in the registry, and have ran AVG and Malwarebytes and they didn't come up with anything. 

Thanks again for any help on this one.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:04 PM

blue gravity,

Please confirm that the command that is attempting to execute is the following:

REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

This command is trying to enable task manager but the command prompt that is trying to enable task manager does not have the permissions to do that.

Please try the following:

1. Click Start
  2. Type cmd
  3. Right click cmd.exe
  4. Select Run as administrator
  5. type "REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f"
  6. Press enter
  7. Close cmd.exe
  8. Log out
  9. Log in
  10. Try to open task manager

If this does not work, or you believe your computer might be infected, please follow the instructions found at Am I Infected, as I am not authorized to assist with the removal of malware.

Thank you,

packetanalyzer

Edited by packetanalyzer, 16 November 2015 - 02:06 PM.

#3 blue gravity

blue gravity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:11 PM

Ok thanks for the info, that did not do the trick so moving to the infected forum.

Thanks again.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:08 PM

OP reposted in AII, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/596543/unable-to-access-task-manager-error-access-is-denied/, there was requested to initiate new topic in MRL due to running ComboFix.

This topic is closed to avoid confusion.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 November 2015 - 05:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users